Chapter Fifty-Five

Ten minutes later, Sharlene had arrived downstairs with her bags in hand and a frown on her face; that was because AJ had snagged her car keys when he ran outside.

Unlocking the vehicle, he opened the driver seat, but the loud clearing of her throat made him pause in motion.

"Do not even think about it."

"I was just exploring."

With an innocent smile, he walked towards the passenger side. Opening the door, he stepped into the vehicle and was about to close the door, but Sharlene stood in the way with a hand stretched out.

"The car keys, please."

"I was not going to steal it."

Mumbling, he begrudgingly placed it in her hand.

"I know of how a lover of vehicles you are. You cannot fool me twice, AJ

Cunning-ham."

She said before moving away and allowing him to close the door.

The rain had stopped five minutes ago, allowing the sun to rise again. She smiled at the feeling of the sunlight beating against her back.

Stepping into the driver seat, she placed her bags in the backseat before igniting the engine and slowly moving onto the road.

"You drive so slow."

Sending a side glance glare at him, she muttered.

"I have not started driving, AJ."

"That shows how slow at driving you are."

"No, I am not."

"Yes, you are."

On and on, the siblings bickered until she arrived at his school gate.

"Pick me up later?"

He asked with a teasing smile.

Scoffing, she placed the vehicle in reverse.

"In your dreams."

Laughing, he suddenly ruffled her hair.

"Hey!"

She exclaimed, but before she could grab onto him, he ran out of the car and closed the door behind him with a soft bang.

"BYE MUSHY, MUSHY SQUISHY SISTY!"

Shouting, he waved at her through the windshield.

"You'll pay for that when I come back, you little blue-eyed devil!"

Exclaiming through the window, she watched him pass through the school gate before reversing out of the parking lot.

Smirking, he sped walked into the school while ignoring the weird looks he was getting from the confused bystanders.

--------

The air in the room was dense.

No one said a single word, but the two eyes gazing at each other were intense.

One look was cold and withdrawn, while the other filled with raging emotions.

The two opposite emotions were destructive.

The person with the cold eyes sat like the king of the world in the leather chair. His face void of emotions and eyes dark as tar. On the other hand, the other person was standing. Her hands balled into fists at the side of her body. She pursed her lips, and her eyes burned with anger.

A single expensive oak desk separated them, the papers scattered on the desk and floor the information she had brought for him earlier.

It was disastrous, the atmosphere in the room.