Chapter Sixty-Five

Her mouth was gaped open after hearing what he had said.

'How could his family...?'

She was speechless, both in her mind and outward. After a few seconds of gathering her thoughts, she complained.

"My God, how cruel. And here I thought, and I told Rita that she needed to put her foot down—show who is boss to your unfeeling family, but they had already decided your fate."

Yvonne slowly nodded though he did not understand her murmuring.

"I reasoned with them, helped them see how important Rita is to me, but they ignored me."

Huffing, Sharlene folded her arms on top of her chest. She was livid by the thought that her best friend's family had kicked him out because he chose lasting love over family.

What did they expect him to do? Grow old and grey in their two feet without experiencing love? Or marry him to a girl to their liking who would never bring him happiness? Sometimes, she wondered if gold made up those rich people's brains. That was the case because they never think outside their circle.

"Really? What about your sister, Mia?"

She inquisitively asked.

Ah, yes, Mia—Mia Chan, a girl who had hated her very guts, even the air she breathed. She remembered the small girl would always stalk her and Yoyo because she was sent as a spy by his family to watch their interactions.

Mia Chan was a blabbermouth who did not know silence.

On numerous occasions, the girl would appear from nowhere, her round brown eyes sparkling with mischief, while her pigtailed styled brown hair would dance whichever way in the wind. Being 5'4 and small had its many advances, and she would use it to the 'T'.

If Sharlene and Yoyo made a schedule to study together in his home library, Mia would push herself in between them while opening a nonsensical conversation that went through one ear and out the next. Serving hot tea and snacks, she looked like glue stuck on a chair in their presence and did not bother to avert her eyes as she studied them with intrigued eyes.

Mia made spying obvious and did the weirdest things to deliver her mission. Yet before all that fiasco, she attended a prestigious high school. However, when her parents transferred her to an inexpensive high school close to their college to spy on them, she did not let the opportunity slide.

Her presence, voice, and expressions were annoying.

If she could describe Mia Chan with one word, it would be a chatterbox and a pain—an added fact. That was because she would always include two words before every sentence, 'my brother,' and speak in a high tone of voice as if she used helium to get it just right.

"She threw a tantrum, even going as far as to find a new family to call her own if they kicked me out, but they ignored her."

Yvonne's words brought her back to reality.

Mia could be very persuasive when she wanted. Her puppy dog eyes super cute when she begged. Becoming sixteen in the following month, since her birthday is in June, Mia was an attention seeker, her pretty face the main reason for that.

"Well, that's sad. Did little Mimi lose her touch?"

She tsked, the annoying nickname she had given to the girl coming to mind. The entire reason she started calling her that nickname was because Mia loved to speak about herself. And it annoyed her to no end.

"No. She promised me that she would find a way to wherever I was going. I dissuaded her, but she looked determined."

Sharlene's face distorted with annoyance when she heard this.