Chapter Twenty-Eight

Nick could not take his eyes off of Sharlene. No matter how hard he tried, he just could not. It was like a magnet was pulling him to her. Sitting at the very top of the long table, he listened to the presentation given by a short woman in front, but his eyes were on Sharlene.

And he could see how much his unwavering stare affected her because she was fidgeting in her seat.

Looking attentive, as she dropped detailed notes on the notepad in front of her, Sharlene tried to concentrate, but with a handsome specimen like Nick gazing at her, it made that simple fact hard.

Her blush intensified and made her beautiful face shine brighter.

As the slideshow of the last presentation had ended and the woman speaking had finished, he still did not avert his eyes. The room lights were quickly adjusted and the projector shut off by Timmy, who had returned to the room after helping his staff members tidy up the equipment in their department.

It was like Nicholas was in a daze.

Clapping was heard, indicating that the presentation was durably good. He took part in the applause, but his mind was elsewhere.

It was only after Madam Sinclair curtly cleared her throat that he slowly looked away. Breathing in, he stood, and every person's eyes, except Sharlene, followed him as he walked to the front. Another glance in Sharlene's direction, he spoke in a clear and authoritative voice.

"I have to say everyone has been working hard in developing the theme for the upcoming event. No doubt, my COO has informed you of how serious and demanding it is going to be."

Everyone nodded.

"I commend you all for your hard work."

Glancing in smiling Madame Sinclair's direction, he appreciated her efforts despite her carefree and laidback attitude. He did not appoint her as his COO because of her outward appearance but the determination she had inside. Madam Sinclair was despised and hated by many, but in actuality, she was hard working. She knew when to buckle up her socks when hard work came. He also glanced at Sharlene, knowing already she was the backbone behind this inspired theme.

Smiles graced everyone's lips, including Sharlene.

"I listened to everyone's presentations, and only two themes and designs stand out: The Fourth Department revision and updated version of Forever Shinning and Dew Drops Spring from the Third Department. They will be assigned to work together to make the final pieces for the showcase."

Madam Sinclair's smile broadened. She would have squealed from joy, but her image was more important. Sharlene glanced at grinning Rita and the rest of the notable figures from her department. They had won with a tie break.

"Thank you everyone else for bringing your fresh and inspiring ideas. The company may use it in other projects to come in the future. Meeting adjourned."

Murmuring was heard, as everyone disgested the turn of events. Nick turned back to stare at Sharlene, but a small frown graced his lips when a slim but astute fellow was standing near and talking to her.

The smile on her face was lovely, and her laugh refine.

"Thank you, sir, for allowing us to share in this massive project."

Turning around to face the same short woman who was giving the presentation earlier, Nick gave her a small smile in return.

"Just do not disappoint me."

"Of course not, sir."

Soon, everyone began to leave the room, excluding Madam Sinclair and Sharlene, who were boisterously talking to a short black-haired Asian woman. Timmy also did not leave the room. He and his team began to disable the equipment.