Chapter Eight

Meanwhile, the trio had remained standing as they watched the young man leave, for their driver had not yet arrived.

Sherlene became ecstatic as she dreamily sighed.

"Is he not wonderful?"

Her eyes glued to the place Nicholas once stood; she was love-struck.

Tapping her shoulders, Doccharles understood his daughter's infatuation for Nicholas Ross, and he was happy she had taken a liking to him but no more. Feeling this phone buzzing in his pocket, he fished it out to see the driver had texted him. He had arrived and waiting outside.

"The vehicle has arrived. Let us go home."

Absentmindedly nodding, Sherlene's mind had different fantasies revolving around Nicholas.

"Is he single?"

Laughing, Doccharles held his smiling wife's hand in his as soon as he dismissed the phone. They all walked through the hallway.

"That I do not know of, my dear."

"Then, that is wonderful!"

Raising an eyebrow, the dreamy look in Sherlene' s eyes did not go unnoticed by Flora.

'It seems she likes him.'

Flora's smile faltered for Sherlene her spoiled daughter was unpredictable.

"What did he come to do here anyway, papa?"

Glancing up into the ceiling, Doccharles hesitated. He was unsure of sharing such confidential information with his wife and daughter. But after careful consideration, he shrugged. He could trust them.

"He is the first patient to donate his sperm for testing."

"Really?"

Humming, both Sherlene and Flora were astonished.

"Yes, but I made a promise that after the examination, we will dispose of the sperm."

"Well, that is fair. I mean, what if something were to happen? The hospital would face great trouble."

Nodding, Flora silently agreed with Mr. Ross' decision. However, the selfish wheels were turning in Sherlene's head.

Remembering the papers she saw on her father's desk a few days ago, she concluded in her head that Nicholas would become her first candidate for marriage.

"Mother, father, can I marry Mr. Ross?"

Interrupting the conversation, Sherlene shocked both Flora and Doccharles to the core, that their footsteps faltered.

"Wha... Whatever brought on that idea, dear?"

It was Flora who broke the silence first.

"He is every girls' ideal husband, ma. Rich, handsome, polite, respectful, strong-willed, and confident: he is perfect."

Glancing at each other with perplexed looks on their faces, Flora and Doccharles were nervous. Spoiling Sherlene ever since she was a child, they had given her everything she desired, but now they were undecided. After all, Mr. Ross was not an object but a human being.

"I am sorry dear, but..."

"He is the man I want papa, and no one else. I want to marry him. I like him."

Sherlene became demanding, her heeled foot smacking against the ground.

"But marriage is not an easy thing, sweetie."

Flora tried to reason with her daughter, but Sherlene ignored her.

"I will marry him. End of this discussion."