Chapter One Hundred and Twenty-Nine

Lightly beating his thumb on the steering wheel, Nick was relaxed and happy, and it was because Sharlene was sitting next to him. Continuously, he glanced at her through the rearview mirror. Her eyes were closed, and her head leaned against the backseat; the cool breeze blowing from the car windows a result of such peace.

Though the sun was shining with all its glory, the atmosphere was not searing. As the vehicle drove near the trees, the sunlight briefly passed on her face, but she shined like an angel.

Smiling, he returned his gaze on the road.

The weather was perfect, especially for the beach.

An idea popped his mind, and he beamed at the thought.

"Maybe we can go to the beach next time."

He murmured.

Her eyes popped open when she heard his request.

"The beach? We haven't even finished our date today, and you are already thinking about our third?"

"Of course. I want to spend more time with you, sweetheart, and I know you love the beach."

She blushed when he winked in her direction.

Averting her eyes from him to stare at the sky, she hummed.

"That does not sound like a bad idea, but it has to be on a day like this with the sky not having a single cloud in it."

Nodding, Nick smiled.

"Then it is settled. From now on, we have to monitor the weather for another beautiful day like this, okay?"

Sharlene chuckled before glancing back to watch Nick.

Ah, what a beautiful man, both inside and out.

With that thought in mind, she closed her eyes once more.

Slowing down and thankful there was not a single vehicle driving through the wide strip of road, Nick lifted one of her hands from her lap and gave the surface a tender kiss.

As he released his slack hold, he chuckled when she suddenly gripped his hand and placed it in her lap. Inclined in no way to brush off her hand because she had fallen asleep, he increased the vehicle speed.

----------------

Parking the vehicle in an easily spotted area thirty minutes later, Nick smiled when Sharlene had spoken incoherent words in her sleep before pushing his hand away. Turning off the engine and removing his seatbelt, he carefully placed one arm underneath her head, albeit careful of waking her. Drawing closer so that his forehead leveled with hers, he gazed down at the sleeping beauty.

Gently, he brushed the back of his hand on her cheeks.

Sensing his touch, she snuggled into his side.

Nick smiled.

"You look like a cat."

He whispered, and she hummed.

Threading his fingers through her soft curls, he rested his chin on her shoulder. He was thankful the distance between the passenger and driver seat was short because it avoided cramping.

Sharlene soon whispered the word 'kiss,' and he lightly chuckled.

She pouted in annoyance and placed her hand on his cheek to push his face away, then buried her head into his chest.

Nick chuckled once more but quickly stopped when he saw Sharlene's eyes were slowly popping open. Her eyebrows creased in confusion as she glanced around her, and she murmured.