Chapter Seventy-Four

Bringing the straw to her lips, she drank the entire liquid in one gulp, her awkwardness causing her blush to turn redder.

Timmy opened his mouth to speak, but she quickly spoke up before he could, after putting the empty glass on the table.

"About the Apple Tart..."

She allowed the rest of her words to drift into the air.

Catching onto her action of wanting to alter the conversation back onto the main point, Timmy smiled.

"Do you want me to pre-order one for you today?"

Contemplating, Sharlene shook her head.

"I don't know. It could be expensive."

"Don't worry about the price. If you would like to eat it, it is fine. It would be my late welcome gift to you."

Shaking her head once more, Sharlene was determined to alter Timmy's resolve.

"No, no. It's okay."

That was because she did not want him to think she was a desperate person, and maybe deep down inside, she did not want their friendship to turn into awkwardness.

Timmy wanted to press further, but he gave up in the end. However, he was not discouraged. He had seen the expression of longing on her face when he had mentioned the desert earlier.

'Maybe, I should buy and give it to her without her knowledge.'

He thought while emptying his glass of water in one gulp.

'Maybe, I should.'

He had made his decision.

An awkward silence descended around them until Timmy loudly cleared his throat.

"So, how is working here so far?"

Tapping her chin while humming, Sharlene began to shake her leg underneath the table.

Was it nerves? She suddenly felt a bit uncomfortable.

"I think it is pretty good so far, you know, minus the Ice Lord and Frosty Queen, aka, Mr. Thomas and Madam Sinclair."

Chuckling, Timmy tapped his fingers on his lap. Glancing at fidgeting Sharlene, he realized his forward suggestion had made things awkward.

"There is something—"

He was about to speak when her phone near her empty plate began to ring. As if she was waiting for a distraction, she answered the call on the first ring in a high-pitched voice.

"Hello."

A few moments later, her voice returned to normal, and a frown adorned her lips.

"Oh hi, ma'am."

Scrunching her face, for Madam Sinclair had replied with a witty and rude statement, she expressed.

"Hold on a moment, ma'am."

Pulling the phone from her ears to glance in Timmy's direction, she was genuinely apologetic.

"I am sorry, Tim, but can we talk another time?"

As she spoke, she stood.

"It is work-related."

Pointing at her phone, she grimaced.

"An unexpected assignment."

Timmy mimicked her action while hiding the disappointment behind a smile. Glancing at his phone, he realized time was up, so whether he wanted to continue their interaction and conversation was beyond his limit. Inwardly sighing, his shoulders sagged, but he was understandable.