Chapter Twenty-Nine

The soft music playing in the background was uplifting, the calming atmosphere making the awkwardness lessen. The quaint cafe opposite the company building, and occupying a window seat, sat Sharlene and Nicholas. They were talking about their likes and dislikes, wants and don'ts. At first, when they had entered the cafe, she was unsure of how the moment would go. Her nervousness had made her blush intensify while he guided her through the building, where every eye turned in their direction.

Not one for attention, she dredged their time together would be pleasant, but after ordering their drinks, he, a medium-size cup of espresso, and she, a large cup of iced chocolate, the conversation started tense. However, after fifteen minutes of enjoying each other company, it grew relaxed. It was probably with the smile splitting his face in half and the friendly aura surrounding him that made it so. She was puzzled by his outward appearance since society had deemed it different.

"So, you do not like humans?"

At that moment, they were discussing his lack of communication with humans in general and his odd habit of speaking when only necessary. She realized he was sharing one of the known facts of himself with her, which warmed her heart. His smoldering stare still made her blush nonetheless, for his eyes never averted from her since they were seating opposite each other.

Shaking his head, after sipping on his coffee, he passed a hand through his hair.

"Not exactly. I am just not comfortable with befriending others that are not my family."

Placing her half-filled glass on the table, Sharlene was appreciative she was learning about the real man of Nicholas Ross behind the false rumors.

"That is understandable. I feel the same way too. I have an odd habit of forgetting people's names if they are not my family or friend."

Understandably nodding, Nick inputted. Recalling the conversation she had shared on the phone with him a few days ago, Sharlene blushed.

"Is that why you had forgotten about our date when I had called you a few days ago?"

Recalling the conversation she had shared on the phone with him a few days ago, Sharlene blushed.

"Sorry about that."

"It's alright. I do hope you will not forget me another time."

With a teasing smile, Nick was empathetic.

"I won't."

"Great. So were you raised in a large family?"

With a small smile, Sharlene placed a strand of her hair behind her ears.

"Yes. Well, that was before everything happened."

As she said that, she averted her eyes to her lap and broke their unwavering eye contact.

Frowning, when he heard such words and saw such actions, Nick wanted to ask, but his ringing phone cut him short. Grabbing it from his suit jacket pocket, he sheepishly spoke as he stood.

"Excuse me."

With a smile of permission from Sharlene, he walked away from the table and out of listening range.

Grabbing the cup with both hands, Sharlene finally let out the breath she had been holding. Being in the company of Nick was exhilarating in a good way. Maybe too good, for her blush was yet to recede. She could not stop the silly mechanism. Patting her red cheeks with her cold hands, she silently scolded herself for bringing up the saddest thing she had endured as a young girl. She had seen the curiosity shinning behind his eyes and knew he would inquire of it, but she did not mind. For some odd reason, she felt like she could tell him anything.