Chapter Thirty-Seven

Fifteen minutes later, they were walking out of the elevator and into the familiar hallway. They continued talking, their laughter echoing against the wall, as smiles adorned their faces. When they had bent the corner, they came to an abrupt halt, for the generally empty hallway was compacted with rapidly rushing people to and from the conference room and the large working offices lower down the hallway.

Raising their eyebrows as they glanced at each other, Sharlene and Rita were confused, especially when a girl with double lens glasses had hurriedly passed between with a skittish 'sorry,' as she made her way down the hallway as if there was a fire on her behind.

Not even five minutes had passed before the same girl had passed by with a heap of files in their hands, almost falling over with heels that looked more suited for staying on the shelf.

She had bounced into another person while trying not to fall and crushing the papers in her hands.

"WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING, KAREN!"

The man shouted while a bottle of water from the few he held had fallen onto the ground. He looked familiar, but Sharlene and Rita could not remember his name.

"I am sorry."

Repeatedly, the girl apologized, her little face turning red from the stares. Huffing, the man picked up the bottle and matched into the conference room. Sighing, for she realized she had survived the ordeal, the girl gathered her wits by breathing in and out while ignoring the whispers and stares of her embarrassing moment.

During her little peep talk in her head, Sharlene and Rita had approached her with soft-spoken and polite words of sincerity.

"Are you alright?"

Slightly widened eyes, as she turned in their direction, the girl blushed beet red in embarrassment.

"Yes, I am."

Hurriedly, she reassured the strangers.

"Are you sure?"

Rita pressed, her eyebrows slowly pitching up due to the annoyance of the miss 'I am fine' being mistreated by others.

"Yes, I truly am."

Not reassured by her curt answer but not wanting to be viewed as a pusher, Rita quickly changed the conversation as she glanced around the chaotic room.

"What is going on?"

Perking up, the girl looked obliged to explain.

"An important guest is arriving in an hour."

Amazed by this news, Rita placed a hand underneath her chin in contemplation.

"Really? Why did I not hear about it?"

"That is because it was a last-minute announcement made by the COO, who most likely did not share this with enough people."

Humming, Rita blatantly agreed.

"She sure does her job back-to-front. I was surprised the CEO gave her the task of handling the upcoming project. You know, with her incapability of doing things under pressure, she could crack, and that could be a serious problem."

She added with a scoff.

Sharlene quickly reprimanded her.

"Don't say that, Riri. She is our boss."

Rolling her eyes, she was the least offended.

"So?"

Sighing, for she knew Rita was right, Sharlene dropped the subject and instead averted to look at the widened-eyed girl. She had not expected someone to be so fearless when talking about their boss in such a manner.