Chapter Thirteen

Spending more time Downtown, Colorado Springs because she rarely came to these parts because of the price range, she drove to Loyal Coffee to order one of their excellent brews and then to the nearest park where she spent a quiet afternoon. By the time she returned home, it had just turned five o'clock.

"How was it?"

Her mother questioned as soon as she walked into the living room. The matriarch was sorting out some papers on the coffee with her reading glasses. She detected it was pictures and information from the internet about redesigning the kitchen.

She smiled.

Dropping her bag on the ground near the sofa, she sank into the empty seat near her mother.

"It went okay, I guess."

Glancing down on the coffee table, she pointed to a beautiful picture amongst the others.

"This one looks good."

"You think so?"

Mumbling, her mother picked it up for closer inspection but then sighed. There were far too many to make a proper choice. She removed her glasses from her face and placed them on top of the papers. Turning her undivided attention on Sharlene, she frowned.

"Why? Did something happen?"

Snuggling close to her mother, Sharlene fervently expressed.

"Yes. I had an unfortunate meeting with a rich girl thrice today that kind of spoiled my mood."

Helena always knew Sharlene encountered the most horrid of people. Her boss a perfect example.

"That must have been unbearable. Did you two fight? I know you are not one to ignore people's insults, except your boss, that is. I am surprised you still work for that woman."

Nodding, she yawned.

"Don't rub it in, mom. You know I love designing jewelry."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. That is why you endure my boss' attitude. But you did not answer my question."

Rubbing behind her head, Sharlene nervously chuckled.

"If you consider barking at each other like chickens in a crowded hallway fighting, well, we did. The girl said, 'I don't like you,' and I said, 'the feelings mutual."

"But that was the first time meeting her. Why did she say that?"

Shrugging, Sharlene rolled her eyes.

"She's maybe a spoiled Princess."

Kissing her head with a chuckle, Helena gazed at her daughter with a beautiful smile.

"That's quite unfortunate, and chickens do not bark."

"Well, she did. By the way, where's AJ?"

"He is probably playing games in his room or sleeping the rest of his day off."

A laid back response, Helena returned to her papers.

Chuckling, Sharlene buried her head deeper in her mother's shoulders.

"You overworked him today, didn't you?"

"What can I say? He was wrong to get detention for ten days. The least he can do is help me around the house during his short holiday."

Nodding her head, Sharlene closed her eyes.

"You better don't fall asleep on me, Shar. I am not as strong as I used to be."

"I make no such promise."

Murmuring, Sharlene became drossy, and with the lulling of her mother's heartbeat, the shuffling noise of the papers, and the warmth, she eventually fell asleep.