Chapter One Hundred and Eight

"What else did you think of when you saw me?"

Glancing down at her for the first time since they started walking across the shoreline, Nick smiled.

"A future that included you in it."

Blushing, Sharlene played coy, as she said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"And you only thought of that after seeing my face? Was I so beautiful that I caused your brain to delete useful information?"

Laughing, he suddenly stopped, and she had no choice but to come to a halt as well. Glancing with raised eyebrows at him, Sharlene gasped when he touched her face with the back of his hand.

"I would be lying if I told you that was not the main reason, but when I learned about the real you, your beauty became both in and out. To me, you are the best thing that ever happened to me."

Sharlene's heart pounded against her chest, and a lovely blush colored her cheeks from his romantic confession.

"I don't believe you."

Hiding her flustered face by pulling her head away from his hand and completely pulling away from him so that her back faced him, Sharlene placed a hand on top of her racing heart. Who was she kidding?

She did believe him.

She had too much of a weak heart to deny such undeniable feelings.

"Then will this make you believe me?"

He suddenly asked, and she grew curious.

"What are you..."

Turning around, she was amazed to see the most beautiful ring in an opened black box sitting in the palm of his hands in front of her.

She was tongue-tied her question dissolved into thin air.

Smiling when he saw her flustered face he had imagined she wanted to hide earlier, Nick spoke in a sincere and assertive tone of voice.

"I know this relationship started awkwardly. My first thought after learning you was carrying my child—our child was not humble. But after learning about you and vise versa, I realize we are no different, maybe in personality, but as individuals, not so much. We are from two different backgrounds and families."

She raised her eyebrows from the choice of words he used in his last sentence, and Nick quickly added with a fluster.

"But I know deep down inside we can make this forced marriage work. I—we haven't had all the time to get to know each other better, but..."

"Yes."

Sharlene interjected his rambling that sounded both cute and funny.

Raising an eyebrow, Nick was astonished.

"But you haven't let me finish..."

Smiling, Sharlene stretched her hands out, her action causing his words to falter yet again.

"You do not need to finish. I have already agreed to marry you before, haven't I?"

Sighing, he nodded.

Laughing, Sharlene patted her stomach with the hand that held her shoes.

"As you can see, nothing is going in order as it should. For us, it is a baby first, relationship second, and marriage last."

Sighing, Nick nodded once more, but with understanding. Removing the ring from the box, he drew closer to her. Carefully placing it on her index finger, he held her hand in his.