Chapter One Hundred and Eighteen

"You finally heard about it?"

Chuckling, Nick leaned forward, but he did not make any snide comments; instead, he decided to tease her.

"Were you anticipating my feedback?"

A little flustered, Sharlene shook her head.

"No, I wasn't. Mr. Thomas told me that he would refer my suggestion to you."

"Yes, and I am glad he did. Your suggestion was practical but would not suit the Event."

A little disappointed, Sharlene's shoulders dropped.

"Oh, I see."

Sensing her disappointment, Nick quickly added.

"However, I reconsidered it for another small project we will embark on after the Event."

"Really?"

She pipped.

Chuckling and glad her earlier joy had returned, Nick nodded.

"You are talented, Shar, gifted."

Blushing, Sharlene placed a strand of hair behind her ears. Slowly, she stood from her chair and walked towards him. Nick raised an eyebrow in question. Gazing up at her when she had silently stood next to him, Nick was about to ask her what was wrong, but her action quickly shut him up.

It was just a light peck on the cheek, but it held a lot of emotion. Opening her eyes, she gazed into Nicks', the blush intensifying on her cheeks.

"Thank you."

Whispering, she drew away from his face.

Nick blinked thrice to break from his daze, but Sharlene had already returned to her seat.

A silly smile was on her face, and she pretended nothing occurred by lifting the menu card in front of her.

"Ah, you are welcome."

Nick spoke before clearing his throat. A slow smile graced his lips when he witnessed her spying above the menu card that threatened to cover her entire face.

Her sudden action had caught him off guard, but he appreciated it. Shaking his head, he chuckled, and Sharlene slightly lowered the menu card and raised an eyebrow in question. 'Her pretense is cute,'

Nick thought before clearing his throat once more. He touched the area on his cheek, which was still warm from her peck.

Watching him from on the top of her menu card, Sharlene silently giggled. The opening of the doors disrupted their humble silence, the promised waiter stepping inside. He smiled, first in Sharlene's direction, then in Nick's. With a notebook in hand, he was ready to serve them.

"Hello. My name is Morris, and I will be your waiter for this afternoon."

He politely spoke, but as if there was a magnet connected to Sharlene, he looked in her direction once more, his smile broadening.

Nick frowned at this and cleared his throat, but a bit louder than before. He disliked the unnecessary attention the young man was giving to clueless Sharlene.

The waiter, who got lost in the dreamy appearance of Sharlene, quickly gave him his undivided attention.

"It appears I have somewhat of a dry cough, so can you bring water along with our orders, Mr. Morris?"

"Of course, sir."

With a brief nod, Nick averted his eyes to Sharlene, who had finally closed and placed the menu card on the table.