Chapter One Hundred and Twenty-One

Sharlene felt disheartened as she remembered the look and attitude Mr. Porter had displayed towards her earlier. It made her feel inadequate, especially when Nick told him she was his fiancée. She sighed, maybe for the hundredth time.

"Are you alright?"

Nick, who sensed her drop in mood, worriedly asked.

Shaking her head to rid herself of the negative emotions, she smiled to dispel his suspicion.

"I'm fine."

Nick frowned. He had a feeling she was lying, but he did not pry further.

'Was she feeling this way because of how Mr. Porter spoke earlier?'

He reasonably thought.

Clearing her throat when she sensed his unfocused eyes, she quickly added.

"What just happened?"

Mr. Porter's generous suggestion was the best conversation to rid Nick's mind of her inner woes.

Chuckling, he lifted her hand and kissed the smooth skin. Nick did this to comfort her because he knew she was emotionally hurt.

"Nothing to boggle your mind over, sweetheart. In this world of fame and fortune, these types of things happen often."

Furrowing her eyebrows, Sharlene hooked her arm in his offered one as she fixed her gaze in front of them.

'How troubling,' she thought. 'Do I have to face people like this daily?'

Thinking about that possibility made her question—no, I must not allow that unfair interaction to cause regret and doubt my relationship with Nick.'

Breathing in and out, she murmured.

"Is that so? Doesn't it get unbearable sometimes?"

Sighing as he lowered her hand but did not release his hold, Nick nodded.

"That is part of the life I'm living in."

Sharlene hummed.

"So does that mean there are people who will needlessly approach you because of who and what you are?"

Nick glanced down at her. It appeared without her knowledge, she had hinted on the subject that was bothering her deeply.

"That pretty sums it up."

He murmured.

"Will that also happen to me when I marry you?"

She voiced barely over a whisper, but Nick had heard. He suddenly halted, and she, not understanding his sudden action, had no other choice but to stop as well.

"Is something wrong?"

She asked while lifting her head to look at him with creased eyebrows.

Turning to face her, he sighed.

"Yes, there is."

Releasing her hand, he brought it up to her face, and brushing the stubborn strand of hair from her eyes, he whispered.

"I apologize for allowing you to see the ugliness of my world. You don't have to lie to me if you were hurt."

Her eyes widened with recognition before condensing.

"I'm sorry."

Gently grasping her cheek and rubbing his thumb on her soft skin, he added with a murmur.

"No, there is no reason for you to apologize because I already did. Mr. Porter's dismissive attitude hurt you earlier, right?"

Nodding, she lowered her eyes.