Chapter One Hundred and Fifteen

The next day, everything was back to normal, excluding the sudden arrival of an uninvited guest, that is. Hopefully, when everyone had awakened, Mia was still fast asleep: her temporary resting place, the makeshift bed in the living room.

She had looked cute in her sleeping position, her pouting mouth tightly shut, something Sharlene was thankful to see in the early morning. Being extra careful in her movements to and from the kitchen because Mia was a light sleeper, Sharlene monitored her every action as if she was paranoid.

As she was about to bid Helena a goodbye kiss, Sharlene tensed when she sighted Mia arousing from sleep in the corner of her eyes.

First, confusion displayed on her face when she glanced around the room after slowly opening her squinted eyes, but after realizing where she was, her shoulders sagged. Second, she rubbed the salvia away from her lips with a disgusted expression. And third, Mia pushed the thick blanket from her body and swang her feet onto the floor. It was her three signature actions she would do after waking up from a night of crying.

Knowing it was her cue to leave, Sharlene quickly pecked her mother's cheeks and waved Rita goodbye. Dragging AJ, who was about to take a bite of the rosy apple in his hand, she pulled him towards the door.

"What?"

He confusingly asked while tightening his grip on his apple and willingly following Sharlene. Suddenly, a smirk adorned his lips as he teased.

"Are you giving me a free ride, pipsqueak?"

Begrudgingly, she nodded, and he laughed. A laugh that caught Mia's attention onto them faster than the wind could.

The moment they arrived in front of the door, they heard Mia's irritated shout, her footsteps indicating she had stood to rush behind them. Alas, they neither paused nor lingered but increased their steps. When Mia reached the door, it was too late. Sharlene and AJ were strapped in and driving out of the outside garage. Shouting, she stamped her feet while pointing in their receding direction.

"I WILL GET MY EXPLANATION WHEN YOU COME BACK!"

"OF COURSE, MIA!"

AJ responded by sticking his head out the window with a teasing wink. Stamping her foot, Mia huffed and stood watching until the vehicle disappeared from her view. Ignoring the curious glances of the neighbors, she swept her untidy hair behind her ears and walked back inside the house with the door shutting behind her.

---------

After the commotion with Mia and dropping AJ at school, Sharlene's morning passed in a blur. The reconstruction and redecoration were going according to plan, though there were some unreasonable comments from Mr. Trosque, she quickly dismissed it, much to his chagrin. She had mentally patted her back for her professionalism and frankness.

Some of the employees—about two—had complimented her attitude, while others were siding with Mr. Trosque and giving her futile glares.

Her confidence level was like an unbreakable stone at this point, so their comments were irrelevant and groundless. Everyone was bustling all around the room, their minds on the matter. She sighed with the tablet in hand when Trosque looked at her with an unreadable expression on his face.

'Why look at me with those eyes? What did he expect me to do?'

She thought.

She was only a secretary turned supervisor for the two weeks.

Mr. Trosque acted as if she was ready to snatch his position right from under his feet. Like she would.

'He acts like Silvestain Pierre. But I am no Madam Sinclair.'