You Don't Do It For Me Anymore

You're coming home to your girlfriend, Demi...

"I don't need you." You can hear her talking upstairs. "You just don't do it for me anymore."
Your face pales. Is she cheating on you? Is she breaking up with her side hoe?
You start walking up the stairs quietly.
"I don't need you," she repeats, and you bite your lip. She would never cheat on you. But...is she rehearsing your breakup?
You let out a breath and make your way up the final few steps.
"I'm done with you," she says, and you walk up to the bathroom door.
You hesitate. Should you knock? Should you pretend you never heard anything?
"I'm sorry, but I'm better than you."
She can't be talking about you. She respects you too much. You make a decision and knock.
"Demi?" you ask, and you can hear her bustling around. She opens the door after a moment and smiles at you.
You're surprised at her reaction. From her words, you'd figured she'd be sad or maybe angry, but she looks almost...relieved.
"What are you doing?" you ask.
"I'm breaking up with myself," she says, and you furrow your brow.
"What?"
"Well, my old self, I mean," she says with a shrug. "I never really...faced my old self, I guess. So, I broke up with her."
"Wow. Demi, I'm proud of you," you say, smiling slightly.
"It's long overdue," she admits, opening the door fully and letting you in.
"Why are you doing it in the bathroom?" you question, and she shrugs.
"Had a mirror," she replies, moving in front of it and looking at her own reflection.
"You know what?" you say, moving beside her. "I should do that, too."
"It's refreshing," she tells you. She takes your hand in hers. Her warm skin comforts you.
You look at your reflection and let out a breath. You'd never really faced your past, either. Things have just been so good that you never really thought about it anymore. But at the same time, it was still there in the back of your brain. Lurking in the shadows of your mind.
"I'm done with you," you say. Demi watches you through the mirror. "I'm breaking up with your bullshit."
"And I'm breaking up with your bullshit," Demi adds, looking at herself in the mirror.
Half of you feels silly, but the other half...you actually feel good. It's like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders.
"Do you feel lighter?" you ask Demi, who glances to you.
"Yeah," she replies.
You smile and turn to her. She takes your other hand as well, and you move closer to her.
"I thought you were breaking up with your side hoe," you joke, making her burst into laughter.
"In a way, I was," she responds wryly. "But you've always been and always will be my main hoe," she assures you, and you roll your eyes playfully.
"Likewise, Demetria," you say before leaning in. She slips her arms around your waist, releasing your hands so you can wrap your arms around her neck.
Your lips meet, and you smile against her. She pulls you closer as she deepens the kiss.
This is what true happiness feels like. You've both left your pasts behind—now, you're on a roller coaster that only goes up.

A/N
you people better've gotten that last reference