Never Sleep Alone

You'd rather be talking to her than sleeping...

"I should get to bed," you say, but you don't want to. It's true: you do need to sleep, but you'd rather talk with her all night.
"Me, too," she says, and you can hear the smile in her voice. You want to see what she looks like right now. You can imagine her lying on her bed, her blonde hair splayed out around her.
"But I don't want to," you reply, and she lets out a small laugh.
"Me neither." You let out a breath as you look up at your ceiling. You wish she were beside you right now. "What are you wearing?" she asks, her voice quiet. Your heart starts to beat faster.
"A t-shirt and shorts," you respond before biting your lip. "You?"
"Just a t-shirt."
You can imagine her. "What color?" you question.
"Black," she says, and you smile slightly. Your t-shirt is the same color.
"I wish you were beside me right now," you admit, and she lets out a small laugh.
"You should come over sometime. We could fall asleep beside each other for once," she says, and your breath nearly catches in your throat.
"I'd like that."
"What would you do if you were beside me?" she asks, and your heart starts to beat faster once more. Your face flushes.
"I don't know. Maybe we would cuddle," you respond after a moment.
"What else?" she asks.
She's not your girlfriend. But you both know you like each other. It's one of those typical things where you just clicked. You've known her for three months, yet it feels like you grew up together. You trust her with your life, and you know she trusts you, too.
You let out a breath and smile slightly. "I would tell you how beautiful I think you are."
"That sounds nice," she whispers back.
"And I would ask you..." you trail off, not really knowing if this is the way to do it.
"What?" she prods. You can hear her smiling. You love when she smiles as she speaks. It always makes butterflies erupt in your stomach.
"I would ask you if you wanted to be my girlfriend," you finally say. You can feel your heart beating rapidly; if you were really in the same room, you'd be scared that she could hear it. It feels deafeningly loud.
She doesn't respond for a moment, but you can hear her steady breathing on the other end of the line. You resist the urge to say something. You know she needs a moment to process what you're saying.
"I," she says, making your heart nearly stop. "I would reply..." she trails off, and you feel like you're going to pass out. "I would reply yes," she finally says, and you can't help it: a huge smile forms on your face.
"Yes?" you ask, and she lets out a small laugh.
"Yes. Absolutely," she says, making your heart lift. You can't believe it. Well, you should, since you already knew she liked you. But it's good to hear it for real.
"You don't know how happy that makes me."
"I think I do," she replies, smiling again. You bite your lip, your cheeks flushing slightly. "Do you want to come over tomorrow?" she asks, her voice quiet.
"I'd love to."
That night, you fall asleep on the phone as you always do. You don't know if you can ever fall asleep without her with you. Hopefully, you never have to find out.

———

"Do you like the right side or the left side?" Demi asks, and you look at her bed. It looks like she normally sleeps on the right side.
"Left," you reply, and you're actually telling the truth.
"Are you just saying that because I sleep on the right?" she asks, and you shake your head.
"Actually, no."
"Alright then," she says, chuckling slightly. She climbs into bed, and you watch her. You feel nervous. You spent the whole day with her, but you've never actually slept beside one another.
You let out a breath and climb into bed with her. The sheets are already slightly warm. You roll over onto your side so you're facing her.
"Hi," she says, a smile on her gorgeous face.
"Hi," you respond, unable to stop the smile that forms on your face. She looks into your eyes, her brown eyes sparkling in the light.
"I like you a lot," she whispers, her eyes flickering to your lips for a moment.
"I like you, too," you respond, your voice soft.
She moves closer, and then you're kissing. Her lips are warm against yours. They're soft and inviting; you've never felt anything more right. It simply feels right. There's no other way to express it.
You smile as she moves a hand to your face, caressing your skin. You deepen the kiss as you tangle a hand in her hair. You're kissing her like it's the last time you're ever going to kiss her. In reality, it's the first time, and definitely not the last.
That night, you fall asleep feeling the most secure you've ever felt in your entire life. You never want to fall asleep without her. Luckily, you don't have to.

A/N
This makes me cry ugh