Deserving

Summary: Natasha wakes up from a nightmare, and all she can think about is how she has to see her sister and make sure that she is okay. Fortunately, the girl is just over in the next room, and Natasha goes to take a look. But when one creaky floorboard sounds off, Natasha's quiet plan is foiled, and Yelena awakens. Yelena is determined to get to the bottom of her sister's actions.

   Natasha awoke with a jerk, sitting up straight in bed with sweat dripping down her. She was breathing hard, and all she could think of was the past and all of the things that had happened. She looked around her, trying to ground herself and keep in mind where she was now and how she was far from all of it.

She shivered a bit, finding herself quite cold. She closed her eyes tightly, trying to get rid of the memories flashing before her very eyes.

She suddenly heard a small snore from the other room, and her eyes snapped open as her gaze shifted quickly to the wall where the noise had originated. It was then that she painfully remembered more of the dream. She grabbed onto the blankets as the flash of the death of her sister went through her.

It knocked the breath from her, and even thought she could hear Yelena just in the other room, making an occasional snore she could not get any comfort. She had to see for herself and have concrete proof that her sister was alive and well.

Almost autonomously, she got up from the bed and started heading to the door of her room. She reached out to the doorknob, and stopped, wondering if she should actually check on her sister.

However, she quickly convinced herself it would be alright. After all, she was not going to awaken the other girl. She was as quiet as could be and Yelena would never know she was in there despite her heightened senses.

Natasha quietly entered the hall and opened Yelena's door nearby her own. She slid in, leaving the door itself ajar so she could escape quietly without any additional noise disrupting the atmosphere.

To her pure relief, Yelena was lying there on the bed, her eyes closed and her shiny blonde hair sprawled out over the pillow as drool dripped just barely from her opened mouth. It was quite an adorable scene, and Natasha might would have chuckled a bit if it were not for her overwhelming emotions from her nightmare overcoming her.

Natasha hesitantly stepped closer to the figure on the bed, her eyes caressing the contours of the younger girl's face. She was so peaceful in sleep, and her chest rose and fell in a wonderful, hypnotic manner that brought such happiness and calm to Natasha because it signified that Yelena was alive, well, and content.

She stepped a bit closer to the bed, almost wanting to touch the girl but knowing it would wake her up. However, as she made her next move, she just so happened to step on the infamous floorboard. It was the one floorboard in Yelena's room that creaked, and when she stepped, it had very loudly made its favorite noise.

As soon as it made the sound, Yelena jumped from her peaceful position, tensed all over, and her eyes wide awake as her gaze shifted distrustfully and dangerously in the direction that the noise had come from. Her hand was already reaching out to her nightstand where a gun was well-placed.

Natasha froze in the moonlight illuminating the room, and they stared at each other for a long moment.

Finally, Yelena furrowed her brow, confusion in her eyes as she just gaped at the redhead.

"What are you doing?" Yelena questioned, completely disoriented and her voice deeper from her state of sleep just moments before, and her eyes a little wide as she gaped at Natasha. As the tension dispelled with Yelena's words, all Natasha could do was look down with shame, not wanting to meet the younger woman's eyes. It was not exactly easy for her to admit that she had been watching the other girl sleep just for reassurance that she was actually alive.