Listen to Me: Part 5

Summary: It was supposed to be a routine catch and release for Natasha. However, when Vibranium cuffs, Natasha's old Red Room instructor, and, worst of all, Yelena are all mixed in the mission, it quickly becomes one of the worst missions Natasha has ever been on. However, even after the Avengers rescue her and Yelena, there are still somewhat longer-term consequences that the two have to face with Yelena taking the brunt of those said consequences. But Natasha will be there for her every step of the way.

   Yelena took deep, careful breaths, trying her best not to jostle her ribs while also trying to keep herself calm. Natasha was directly next to her, and Yelena was leaning hard against her. On Yelena's other side was Peter and on Natasha's other side was Kate. Peter's leg was bouncing a little as he looked around, seeming far too bright and awake. However, he was definitely a morning person.

Kate was trying her best to stay awake, but she seemed to be dangerously close to falling asleep on Natasha's shoulder. Yelena, of course, was not overly pleased with that fact and would much rather be draped across Natasha's lap with the full expanse of her sister to claim and protect, but she was so nervous and wired at this point that she could not really worry about it. Plus, she was sort of physically unable to move that freely right now.

It was the day of the surgery, and they had gotten there on time. Yelena had already changed into her hospital gown, and they were now waiting on the doctors to come and get her to put her under. Yelena was honestly dreading it terribly, and she just wished they would hurry up a little.

"What is taking so long?" Yelena questioned as she wrapped her arm around Natasha's middle as she gave Natasha an expanse of skin to write across. Natasha started to remove her right hand from where she had rested it on Kate's knee, but she then thought better of it and instead pulled her left hand from around Yelena to write on Yelena's arm. Despite the fact that she knew Natasha was left-handed and that she wrote with that one, she still wished Natasha would take that affectionate hand away from Kate.

Not sure what is taking so long. Most likely will not be too much longer now.

Yelena was honestly not sure if she felt reassured by that statement or not. She suddenly felt a small, very tentative tap to her arm, and she turned her head to look over at Peter. He smiled gently at her and looked like he wanted to say something. Yelena looked at him for a long moment, debating her next action.

However, she finally offered him her palm. His eyes widened a little, and Yelena rolled her eyes at him affectionately, wordlessly communicating that she trusted him and cared about him enough to let him touch her and communicate with her in such a manner.

He started to write a letter, and he began what Yelena assumed was several totally different sentences in the midst of his pure excitement at receiving such faith. Yelena remained patient for a while before finally reaching her hand up to ruffle his hair. He winced a little, grinning in spite of himself as he tried to dodge her.

"Pick one thing to write, Peter Tingle," Yelena teased, thankful that she could refocus her nervous energy into picking on what was undoubtedly her second favorite person. Peter laughed a little before taking her hand and writing on it carefully.

Wanna play Mario Kart with me when you come home?

The request was simple, but the care and the consideration in it was what overcame her and overwhelmed her in its magnitude. Yelena just looked at him for a long moment, taking in this little guy that she considered to be a little brother. There was so much love and affection in his eyes, and she knew what he was wordlessly trying to say to her.