Cold, Hard Fear

Summary: Natasha and Yelena are at the Avengers compound and when Yelena declares that she is bored, she ropes Natasha into coming with her to go see what Tony is doing in his lab since he is the only other Avenger there besides them. However, he is working with a new chemical cleaner for his suit, and Yelena starts coughing. Soon enough, she collapses and cannot breathe. Tony flies her to the nearest hospital and Natasha is full-on panicking.

And when she cannot get a pulse from Yelena, Natasha loses her mind.

   "Stark, you in here?" Natasha called with Yelena close behind her as they entered Tony's lab. They heard a yell to the affirmative, and they both headed further inside.

Yelena had been bored and Natasha had suggested that Yelena go and find Tony to see what he was doing since he was the only one around the compound besides the two of them. However, after Yelena insisted that it was not going to be any fun aggravating Tony if Natasha was not there and after Yelena practically pestered Natasha to death, Natasha finally ended up getting up to go with Yelena to find him.

However, as they entered the room, a disgusting scent assaulted their senses.

"Good grief, Stark. My mouth was open and everything," Yelena commented with a nasty cough as she covered her nose and tried to keep the smell away from her. Natasha wrinkled her nose, shooting a disapproving glance in Tony's direction. Tony just narrowed his eyes at them as he picked up a vial and wiggled it a bit between his fingers.

"Not a fart, Nat Junior. It's a new cleaner-polisher combo I've been experimenting with. Should be make my suit look really nice," Tony explained, and Yelena just coughed, wincing as let her hand drop from her nose hesitantly. After a moment, she shot a somewhat unappreciative glare at Tony for his nickname as she caught up with what he had said.

"Are you sure that stuff won't end up rusting your suit?" Natasha deadpanned, raising an eyebrow with a slight smirk as she cast a slightly worried glance in Yelena's direction. Yelena was still seeming to be struggling with the smell. Normally she would have at least pretended to not let it bother her.

"Ha. You should go into stand-up, Romanoff," he replied sarcastically, and Natasha just raised an eyebrow.

"I would have, but John Mulaney begged me not to. Something about ruining his career," Natasha shot back, and he scoffed. However, she knew there was not a single bit of malice in it. They were just teasing one another as per usual.

"Alright. Let's test this stuff out," Tony told them, and he grabbed the small yet exceedingly dirty piece of armor he had next to him. He rubbed at the piece with the cloth he had nearby, and the smell began to permeate the entire room. Natasha furrowed her brow, and she coughed a little, trying to breathe a somewhat more lightly.

Yelena wheezed, coughing hard, and Natasha looked at her worriedly, turning her attentions to Yelena as she reached out and rubbed the blonde's back.

"Hey, are you okay?" Natasha asked, and Yelena nodded. However, just as she did, she was dragged down to her knees as she lost some of her control over her ability to stand. Natasha's eyes went wide as she immediately fell to her knees beside Yelena. Yelena heaved but her exhales came out in small wheezes as she looked at Natasha helplessly. Natasha realized immediately that for some reason, Yelena could not breathe.

"Woah, woah, is she okay?!" Tony called loudly, and Natasha just focused on Yelena, knowing that the blonde desperately needed her more than Tony needed an answer.

"Hey, hey, it's alright. Breathe, breathe for me, okay?" Natasha spoke, her eyes wide as she pressed her hand flat against Yelena's chest, trying to encourage the girl.