What You Need

Summary: Yelena and Kate are eagerly waiting on Natasha, Clint, Tony, and Peter to return from a mission. When they finally come home, Natasha is clingy, almost afraid, and a mere husk of her ordinary self, and Yelena immediately knows that the mission did not go according to plan. It is up to Yelena to scare away her sister's demons.

   Yelena sat on the bench just outside the compound, waiting impatiently for her big sister to come home from her mission. Natasha and the rest of the team that left had called and let her know that they were coming home, and by Yelena's calculations, they should be back at any minute.

They had left three days ago for this mission, and the team had consisted of Clint, Natasha, Peter, and Tony. It was a strange combination, but they were nevertheless quite successful in their missions usually. That is, when Peter did not make a rookie mistake and Tony did not act like a total arrogant pig.

"Hey, Yelena Banana! Any sign of them?" Kate suddenly spoke up, and Yelena looked over at the brunette that had just approached her with narrowed eyes, setting her jaw a little as she wordlessly expressed how she felt about that nickname.

"Sorry," Kate immediately apologized, looking sheepish as she grinned guiltily. She wiped her hands on her pants awkwardly. Yelena let out a breath, turning her gaze back to the skies.

"Whatever. But no, I haven't seen them... Why? Looking forward to your Hawkear coming home? You actually going to woman up and kiss him on the cheek like you always dreamed of?" Yelena teased, the words having no real bite but nevertheless accomplishing their goal of embarrassing Kate. Kate went red as a beet, and Yelena smirked smugly, pleased with her quip.

"How do you even know about that?!" Kate yelped defensively, and Yelena just shrugged, glancing over at Kate mischievously.

"I didn't," Yelena informed her, and Kate suddenly paled a little, her expression turning to one of horror.

"Oh," Kate trailed off, and Yelena nodded resolutely as she leaned back on the bench, her eyes still focused on the skies.

"Yeah, you just exposed yourself. Like a total Kate Bishop," Yelena declared, and Kate furrowed her brow in confusion at Yelena's last statement, confusion riddling her gaze as she looked at Yelena.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Kate asked, some combination of sounding almost offended and actually being curious about Yelena's logic. Yelena looked over at her, raising an eyebrow nonchalantly.

"What? Being a Kate Bishop? Well, Kate Bishop, being a Kate Bishop is when you're a big, goofy, awkward puppy." Kate just wrinkled her nose in response, seemingly unsure how to take the statement as she stood nearby the bench where Yelena was seated.

"I'm not sure whether to take offense at that or be happy that you compared me to a puppy instead of something worse," Kate expressed finally, that strange honesty for which she was so infamous shining through. Yelena shrugged.

"Don't look a gifted horse in the butt, Katie," Yelena informed her, conjuring a wise tone in her voice as she uttered the words. Kate huffed slightly at the nickname, unhappy with it.

"Don't call me Katie. And isn't it a gift horse in the mouth?"

"Bah. I like my version better," Yelena shot back before squinting suddenly, seeing a form appearing in the horizon. Yelena leaned forward a little, tilting her head a bit as she tried to decipher if it was the jet with her sister on it.

"That's them," Yelena muttered with a wide grin, standing up and watching as the jet quickly approached. Soon enough, it landed and started to open up. Yelena took off running as quickly as she could, sprinting across the grass as she hurried to greet her big sister.