Listen to Me: Part 7

Summary: It was supposed to be a routine catch and release for Natasha. However, when Vibranium cuffs, Natasha's old Red Room instructor, and, worst of all, Yelena are all mixed in the mission, it quickly becomes one of the worst missions Natasha has ever been on. However, even after the Avengers rescue her and Yelena, there are still somewhat longer-term consequences that the two have to face with Yelena taking the brunt of those said consequences. But Natasha will be there for her every step of the way.

   Yelena started to open her eyes just a little, happily taking in the feeling of a familiar hand combing through her hair affectionately from where she was laying on the couch with her head on Natasha's lap. Yelena looked up, smiling gently as she spotted that telltale red hair. Natasha was looking over in the direction of where Kate was, and Yelena moved into her affections a little more, trying to get her attention a little more. Natasha smiled down at her softly, playfully placing her hand over Yelena's eyes and grabbing her face gently.

Yelena grinned, but as Natasha covered her eyes, Yelena suddenly noticed something surprising.

She could actually hear the sound of someone speaking.

As Natasha moved her hand off of Yelena's face, Yelena tried to follow the sound with her eyes. She soon zeroed in on Kate, and as soon as she realized that it was Kate talking, she did her best to try to focus in on her words to see if she could understand.

Sure enough, she could actually make out what the girl was saying.

"But like I told him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Tasha, what do you think?" Kate asked, and Natasha just shook her head. Yelena eagerly strained her ears, trying to make sure that she caught every word that passed between Natasha's lips.

"I'm not sure I have an opinion, honestly," Natasha expressed with a grin, and Yelena felt so relieved and happy that she could almost cry as she took in the sound of that warmth in Natasha's voice that always melted her heart to hear.

"Tasha! Look, there have to be more doors than wheels in the world, okay? Like... Think of it like this. Every house has around fourteen doors, and every house has like four wheels. Well, crap, not house, but like every household has something with four wheels," Kate explained, rambling along as she tried to explain how she was right. Yelena swallowed, gathering her courage to finally speak aloud herself and expose that she was actually able to hear again.

"Just when I think you can't get any more stupid, you somehow manage to top your own personal record," Yelena grumbled just loud enough for her own ears to hear the sound of her voice and for Kate to hear her speak. Yelena let out a breath of exasperation.

"Wheels and doors... Pshh," Yelena dismissively declared.

Natasha's eyes went ridiculously wide, and she immediately looked down at Yelena in shock and ecstasy. Kate, however, taking a moment to catch on, simply scoffed offendedly.

"Hey, look, I did the research, okay? I was very proficient with the Google machine and," Kate froze in the middle of defending herself, and Yelena just rolled her eyes heavily, glancing up at Natasha who had already immediately caught on. There was so much pure joy in her eyes as she just stared at Yelena wordlessly, her lips trembling just barely as she looked at her incredulously.

"Wait! Did you hear what I said?! You're hearing me?!" Kate demanded excitedly, and while her voice was a little garbled and not as clear as they would have been prior to the entire incident, Yelena could make out the words relatively easily.

"Yeah, I heard you, and I can't believe the first thing I've had to hear since going deaf is your incessant, dumb babbling," Yelena declared somewhat dramatically, and Natasha suddenly laughed in response to Yelena's statement. Yelena immediately snapped her gaze to Natasha's, her heart filling as she eyed her with a grin.