Be Mine, Valentine

Summary: It's Valentine's Day, and Kate just wishes she had the courage to give Clint an anonymous Valentine, her crush on him overwhelming her good sense. However, she has enough sensibility about her to hold back from actually following through.

Unfortunately for her, Yelena is not so sensible.

   "Gosh, I don't know, Lucky... I don't think I can do it," Kate explained, rubbing the Golden Retriever's ears as he sat nearby her. She let out a small breath, looking over the post-it notes covering her vanity at the moment.

It was Valentine's Day, and Kate was honestly feeling rather glum about it since the only person she had a crush on was undoubtedly way older than her and way too married. The funny thing was that no matter how she tried, she just could not quite get over him and her crush on him.

It must have just been something to do with the fact that he saved her life when she was a young, impressionable ten-year-old that was extremely taken with the most talented man she had ever seen.

But nevertheless, she had a ton of lavender post-it notes that she had been scrawling tons of lovey-dovey, cutesy messages on in hopes of finding something that she might could possibly have the courage to hide in Clint's things for him to find.

"I mean... What is this? 'Did it hurt when you fell from the vending machine? Because you're a snack.' That's like the worst thing that a guy has ever said to me, and I wrote it on a post-it to hypothetically give it to Clint. What am I thinking? I'm so stupid," Kate groaned in exasperation, reaching her hands up to rub at her face as she drew out the last word in a light growl.

Lucky raised his head just a little as her fingers scratched at his fur, nosing gently at a post-it note.

"What?! No! I could never give them to him... Are you crazy?" Kate questioned, pushing Lucky's nose away from the piece of paper. Lucky just moved his head into her lap, letting her pet his ears as he quietly enjoyed her affections.

"I mean, look at this one! 'Let's be double partners.' And I even put a winky face like a total dork," Kate noted in mortification, and Lucky just closed his eyes as she continued to offer gentle ministrations. Kate finally looked down at him, a slight frown on her face.

"Y'know, Lucky, it makes no sense how I can be brave enough to jump out in front of traffic to save a dog, but I can't give a silly note for my hero," Kate sighed deeply, ruffling the dog's ears playfully before stilling her hand. He whined a little at the lack of attention being showered on him, and Kate just huffed, picking back up on her scratches.

"Don't worry, buddy. You'll always be the number one man in my life," Kate assured him with a grin before bending down and kissing his head softly. He moved up, licking her chin affectionately. Kate huffed a little, smiling softly before getting up and looking over the notes. She shook her head slowly with a groan.

"I guess I'm going to go get a shower," Kate informed him, and he tilted his head inquisitively. She grinned a little, grabbing some clean clothes from her dresser.

"Now don't go spreading those around while I'm showering, got it?" Kate asked him, pointing at him playfully, and he just barked in reply to her pointed finger. Kate laughed a little, heading to the bathroom and shutting the door behind her.

She could not resist being playful with the dog. He was just too much fun, and she loved him so much.

Besides... The post-it notes were definitely not going anywhere.

.....................................................................................................................