Listen to Me: Part 4

Summary: It was supposed to be a routine catch and release for Natasha. However, when Vibranium cuffs, Natasha's old Red Room instructor, and, worst of all, Yelena are all mixed in the mission, it quickly becomes one of the worst missions Natasha has ever been on. However, even after the Avengers rescue her and Yelena, there are still somewhat longer-term consequences that the two have to face with Yelena taking the brunt of those said consequences. But Natasha will be there for her every step of the way.

   It had been an interesting several days, and Yelena was now having her first checkup a week after the day that she had been in the hospital and had gotten diagnosed.

To Natasha's deep pain, Yelena had been horridly nervous the entirety of the time that she had spent at home and at the compound. Unfortunately, Natasha honestly could perfectly understand why. Yelena had been a wreck between her fear of never hearing again, her constant terror that someone was going to sneak up on her and surprise attack her, and her nervousness for the checkup itself and the results it would bring.

They had already run the tests on her, and now all they had to do was just wait for the verdict. Yelena was a complete mess and had been bouncing her leg nonstop since they had arrived. It broke Natasha's heart to see her like this even though she felt the same emotions as Yelena at this moment. Kate and Peter had been suffering immensely for her as well.

In fact, Kate and Peter had wanted to come with them to show them support, but Natasha, knowing that Yelena did not need any additional stress that could come from Kate and Peter's potential reactions, told them that it would be best if they did not come. After all, if the news was not ideal, Natasha was going to have a hard enough time trying to run damage control on Yelena.

Not to mention doing her best to hold her own self together.

"I'm feeling upside-down," Yelena admitted quietly yet suddenly, sitting there in the seat next to Natasha as she shifted uncomfortably from what Natasha assumed was likely pain and discomfort caused by her ribs. Yelena had repetitively been exceedingly hard on them, and Natasha knew that they were likely going to take longer to heal than normal because she had jostled them so much the past week.

Natasha reached out to trace words gently on Yelena's arm.

You will be fine. I am here for you no matter what.

Yelena looked at her with a pained yet adoring glint in her eyes. She then leaned her head over to press it against Natasha's shoulder. She nestled her forehead into Natasha's neck, trying to hide herself from the world. Natasha was more than happy to oblige her as she leaned over and pressed her cheek to Yelena's head.

"I wish they'd hurry back," Yelena gently expressed, and Natasha knew that she must have been exceedingly nervous to not even make any sort of joke about the doctor and him being an older man. Natasha traced gently along Yelena's skin.

They say no news is good news, sweet girl.

"No news is never good news in our line of work," Yelena disagreed immediately, the sound of her voice vibrating darkly against Natasha's neck. Natasha could not help but chuckle somewhat bitterly, knowing that as much as she did not want to admit it that it was unfortunately the truth.

Natasha almost gave her a verbal reply before immediately remembering that Yelena would not hear her. It was weird to her how Yelena could still speak to her, but she could not actually hear anything that Natasha said. It was strange and disconcerting to her almost.

However, before she could write anything on Yelena's arm, the doctor came into the room, and Natasha stiffened a little at the sight of him. Natasha tried her best to make her movement a little less perceptible, and she moved her hand to softly touch Yelena's ribs in order to remind her to be careful with them as Yelena started a little as a result of Natasha's movement. Yelena glanced at her just barely but as soon as she saw the doctor, she kept her eyes locked on him firmly.