Perfect to Me

Summary: When Yelena steps out of the shower and sees herself in the mirror, she is given a harsh reminder of her past, the things she has done, and the life she has lived. Fortunately, Natasha is there to help her through it, and shows her a few of her own reminders.

   Yelena stepped out of the shower, steam surrounding her as she took a deep breath with the air almost suffocating in its humidity. She had just gone for a run, and Natasha had practically insisted on her taking a shower, playfully telling her that she was like a little stink bomb. Yelena, of course, was quick to inform her that it was the middle of summer and was even swifter to ask Natasha what she expected from her. However, she did head off to take a shower, grumbling the entire way.

Yelena put on some pants and underwear and had just slipped on her bra when she paused for a moment to look in the mirror, the steam clearing enough with the presence of the air conditioning coming through the vents for her to see herself.

She immediately stopped altogether, her hands slipping away from the folded shirt there on the counter as she stepped over a bit closer to look in the mirror, her eyes locked onto the scars riddling her body. Since she had been showering in such hot water, her skin was redder than usual, and her scars that normally blended in with her ordinary color were standing out against her current slightly irritated skin.

Her eyes locked on the scars on her hands, and she slowly moved up her arms with her surveying, her gaze stopping as she locked onto a particularly nasty scar on her shoulder. She just stared at it for a long moment, trying to fight the flashbacks that came flying through her mind as she looked at it.

However, she could not quite manage to shake the feeling of unworthiness, guilt, and pain that came with all of the scars. It only intensified as she dropped on her worst scar of all that stretched across her side.

Yelena swallowed at the sight of it, trying her hardest not to remember the horrid task she had to complete when she earned that scar.

"Rooskaya? You okay?" a voice piped up, and Yelena was almost unable to answer as she took a deep, shaky breath, attempting desperately to control and regulate her thoughts. It was Natasha outside the door, and Yelena knew that if she did not reply, Natasha would practically panic.

"Yeah," she replied just barely, but her voice was not nearly as strong as she would have liked for it to come out. Apparently, Natasha detected the oddness of her tone, and Yelena heard the door starting to open.

"I'm coming in, okay?" Natasha spoke up, and Yelena just nodded, her voice not quite coming to her as she fought down the memories threatening to resurface.

Natasha entered the room quietly, shutting the door behind her carefully, and she silently padded behind Yelena and approached her so that they were standing next to one another. Natasha's shoulder was softly brushing against Yelena's, and Natasha's hand was nearby Yelena's on the counter, not quite touching the blonde's but remaining close in a wordless offer of reassurance. Yelena barely moved her pinkie so that it was poking into Natasha's hand gently, silently asking the older woman to follow through the rest of the way.

Natasha moved her hand so that it was over Yelena's, gently squeezing with the barest of pressure.

Yelena could feel Natasha's silent question, and Yelena let out a slight sigh.

"I got out of the shower... and these," Yelena motioned the scars that were still much too easily visible on her, and Natasha followed her gestures, "just... I don't know."

Yelena released a breath once again, barely meeting Natasha's eyes in the mirror.

"They reminded me, I guess," Yelena admitted quietly, and Natasha seemed to have all of the understanding in the world as she silently looked at Yelena, her hand squeezing Yelena's a little tighter. Natasha moved just a bit closer so that her shoulder was pressed against Yelena softly.