Superhero

Summary: When Natasha had been assigned to a mission for what seemed like the thousandth time that month, Yelena had immediately volunteers to take her place. Natasha is not pleased because Yelena went behind her back and did this, but she lets Yelena go on the mission since she has no choice at this point and is positively exhausted anyway. However, when Yelena comes home from the mission with a few injuries, Natasha is completely worried out of her mind and feels that she has let Yelena down once again.

   Yelena let out a deep breath, getting out of the car with only a bit of trouble as she waved to Steve gratefully. He offered a two-fingered salute and a smile in reply, and she just headed toward the house, limping just barely.

When Natasha had been assigned to a mission for what seemed like the thousandth time that month, Yelena had immediately volunteered to take her place. Yelena knew that her big sister was exhausted and that she was not getting the sleep that she needed because of the mountains of paperwork that she had to complete after each one of the missions that she kept going on.

Yelena was honestly afraid that Natasha was going to end up getting less than pristine in her work on the missions due to the exhaustion and she was going to get hurt. Therefore, Yelena decided to step up to the plate and replace the redhead this time.

Natasha had protested so much, and that entire morning before Steve came to pick her up, Natasha had been begging her not to go and to let Natasha go as planned. Yelena remained steadfast, practically demanding that Natasha go to bed after Yelena left. Yelena strongly doubted that the redhead had actually complied with her words, but she let herself hope at least a little.

Natasha always was strongly opposed to Yelena going on missions meant for the redhead, but most times, Yelena was begging Natasha to let her go on those missions and Natasha gave in. The reason Natasha was so extra unhappy about this time was because Yelena had went directly to Steve and told him that Natasha needed a break and that the blonde was going to take her place.

Natasha was very unhappy with the fact that Yelena had done it without telling her about it first, but Yelena knew that on somewhere inside of her, Natasha was also grateful for Yelena's thoughtfulness.

Somewhere deep, deep down inside of her that Yelena hoped would surface as soon as she walked in through the front door and told Natasha that the whole thing had been a success. Well, not counting the sprained ankle and the shallow gashes on Yelena's head and arm.

Yelena reached for the doorknob to put the key in, but before she could even start to unlock the door, it was flung open and Yelena was wrapped in a tight embrace.

"You're okay," Natasha whispered, and Yelena tried to hold back the slight whine of pain as Natasha brushed against her injured arm, but she quickly brought up her arms to reciprocate the embrace.

"Hey, poser," Yelena mumbled against Natasha's neck, pressing her face into the warm skin as she leaned her entire body into Natasha's arms.

However, Natasha had obviously heard whatever small noise that Yelena had made, and she pulled away quickly. Yelena let out a slightly louder noise of protest as she hesitantly pulled away from Natasha to look at her with some offense.

Yelena immediately noticed how Natasha's eyes were locking onto the injury on Yelena's head, and Yelena let out a slight breath as the light in Natasha's eyes dulled considerably and she lost all semblances of happiness in favor of concern.

"You're hurt," Natasha pointed out, and Yelena shrugged a little, nonchalance in her motions.

"Not too badly. Just a place on my head and my arm. And a sprained ankle. Nothing was broken," Yelena happily assured her, and Natasha's eyes were wider as she gaped at Yelena. She immediately reached out for Yelena's arm before pausing questioningly.