Rediscovering Sisterhood

Summary: What if Natasha and Yelena spent some time together waiting on Rick to reach their coordinates with supplies and transportation? What if Natasha apologized for what she said and the two took the time to start to get to know one another again?

   "I called my contact and he's coming with supplies. He's supposed to be getting us a jet, too, but we'll see about that," Natasha told Yelena as she came into the motel room, locking the door behind her. Yelena looked over at her from where she was rummaging through their duffel bag for a water bottle.

They had come to a stop for the night in another dirty motel room. They had already been in a different one the night before, but this one they would likely be in for a few days as they waited for Natasha's contact. Honestly, Yelena somewhat missed their last one since this one seemed to be dingier than the previous one they had stayed at.

"The Avengers jet?" Yelena questioned, trying desperately to keep the hope out of her voice at the thought of getting to ride in something as awesome at that machine. And the possibility of driving it was positively tantalizing.

"Probably not quite. I'd honestly sooner expect a broken-down Vespa with wings on the sides," Natasha admitted with a slight smirk tugging at her lips at the thought. Yelena huffed in reply, a grin coming over her at the joke. However, she quickly fought it down, trying not to show Natasha too much emotion.

Yelena finally found her water bottle, and she quickly looked to her side as Natasha sidled up to her, her shoulder brushing Yelena's. It took everything within Yelena not to lean against Natasha and into the warmth radiating from the older woman.

Yelena somehow held it together, however, and she just raised an eyebrow at Natasha. Natasha seemed to completely ignore Yelena, and she grabbed multiple different gadgets from the bag before taking them over to the nearby desk.

Yelena watched her leave, feeling a deep sadness come over her as she quickly came to the conclusion that Natasha obviously had not felt the same connection as she had. Yelena then headed over to the bed, crawling onto it and reclining on the bed. Her eyes shifted quickly to Natasha's form as she tried to surreptitiously study Natasha.

Yelena looked at the older woman, her eyes running over her form as she took in more about Natasha's appearance. She was so much older now, but Yelena could see the remnants of that little girl left behind in her features. Her nose had never changed except for a slight crookedness of the bridge of it that told the story of the many times it had been broken.

But her eyes were perhaps the thing that had not truly changed at all. They were still that light shade of green with that determination, drive, and stubbornness still prevalent as ever. But they lacked that intense warmth that they used to hold.

However, over the time that they had spent together since they were first reunited, Yelena had caught Natasha gazing at her with strong remnants of that childhood warmth, but Natasha would quickly look away and pull up her walls once again, making sure there was a firm guard between her and Yelena.

Which somehow hurt even more than just the cold barrier because it left Yelena with hope. Hope for what could be when she did not even know if Natasha wanted to keep in touch after this entire effort in taking down the Red Room was over.

"Alright... So I'm thinking at this point, we're just going to wait on my contact for a few days until he reaches a rendezvous point that we can more closely access... Then we can suit up and easily snatch Alexei. I might be able to rig up the tablet that my contact's bringing to help us finish the job easier," Natasha explained, and Yelena quickly looked down at the water bottle in her hand as Natasha gazed over at her. Yelena then met her gaze again, trying to be cool about it.