Keep You Safe

Summary: When Hydra attacks an area near the Avengers tower to test the Avenger's defenses, Yelena joins the team in the fight. Just when she believes she has defeated all of the enemies, she is sorely mistaken and Natasha is shot trying to protect her. Yelena is overwhelmed with guilt and as Natasha heals, Yelena resolves to do everything she can for Natasha.

   Yelena swiftly delivered a killing blow to the man before her, slicing his throat efficiently with her trusty knife. She took a deep breath before looking around, taking note that she had cleared her area of the zone.

Hydra had sent an attack on a particular part of Manhattan not too far from the tower. It was a ruse to try to test the defenses of the Avengers, but nevertheless, they had all rose to the challenge to prove that it would be a long time before anyone would catch them off-guard.

Yelena had been with Natasha when Natasha had been alerted, and Yelena had chosen to accompany her. She was almost ready to become a proper Avenger, and she felt that if she accompanied them this time, she might be completely ready. After all, Steve had already given her the application, and this sort of assistance that she was offering would surely only add to her reputation.

The blonde wiped at her nose carefully, examining the back of her hand to see if it was bloodied. There was a bit of blood left staining her fingers, but she victoriously noted that the man had not succeeded in breaking her nose.

However, before she could consider this much further, she heard footsteps rapidly approaching her from the side.

"YELENA!!!" Yelena heard Natasha screaming before she even saw her. Yelena spun around, believing that she had taken care of all the enemies around. However, she quickly came face to face to someone pointing a gun at her. Before she could withdraw her own weapon, Natasha came in too fast, smacking the man's hand down.

A gunshot rang out across the area, and Yelena's heart stopped in her chest as Natasha fell to the ground. Yelena screamed, her eyes wide and her heart with a gaping hole as she gawked at the scene. She then realized that the man was still there and attempting to reload. Yelena's eyes hardened and she bared her teeth as something akin to a snarl escaped her. She withdrew a throwing knife, chucking it as hard as she could. It lodged itself firmly in the man's throat, and he hit the ground.

Yelena immediately ran toward Natasha, collapsing onto her knees as she begged anything and everything that Natasha was still alive and there with her. Natasha was gasping for breath, her eyes wide and wild as she looked to Yelena. However, as soon as she saw her, she seemed to calm herself significantly, her breaths slowing a bit.

"No, no, no, no," Yelena muttered to herself quickly, her own heart racing in her chest as she freaked out. There was a fresh, shining bullet wound to Natasha's stomach area, and Yelena felt terror gripping her as a result of the high possibility of major injury.

"We need to get out of here. Can you stand up?" Yelena questioned, trying to keep her voice strong.

Natasha nodded, her voice not quite coming out of her throat. Yelena started to stand up, leaning over and grabbing at Natasha carefully.

"Here, hold onto me, okay? Swing your arm around my shoulders and hold onto me," Yelena swiftly commanded, her words wanting to jumble together as her accent thickened with every moment that passed. Natasha let out the smallest of whines as she locked an arm around Yelena's neck and the blonde lifted her upward and against her.

"There, I've got you," Yelena softly told her, wrapping her arm around Natasha, and the older woman suddenly went into a coughing fit, doubling over just a bit as she turned her head away from the blonde. Yelena felt a stab of panic.