✦ chapter eighty nine.

"i will personally be paying you

"i will personally be paying you..."
✧──────✧

f/n sat beside yuu as the rest of the nrc tribe surrounded them with vil standing before the entire group. it was early in the morning and she had excused herself from her club activities for this important matter that vil stated.

"vdc is long finished, and it's the end for the nrc tribe, too," spoke jamil. "non. vil said not disband, but postpone," replied rook. "did something happen, vil?" asked kalim.

"thank you for gathering on such short notice, everyone. grim's not here, but... it can't be helped at the moment," answered vil as he let out a soft sigh, "i have something important to discuss with you."

the rest sat properly as they listened to what vil had to say, "...first, there's the whole vocal and dance championship incident. please let me apologize for betraying the trust that you have shown me."

"eh...?"

"i couldn't accept my defeat, so i tried to curse my rival... i understand that it is the most unsightly thing to do in the world. i am very sorry," added vil before bowing his head to the group.

"v-vil-san is bowing his head and apologizing..." trailed epel. "i mean, your curse didn't manage to work in the end, right?" spoke jamil. "yup, you didn't hurt neige at all," added kalim.

"...that was only because you and the others worked hard to stop me... i ended up hurting you when i went into overblot, too... i could have hurt you all beyond repair... and most importantly, lady l/n was close to risking her life just to save me. if none of you had tried to stop me, perhaps even she would fall into overblot," spoke vil.

f/n stood up from her seat and walked towards vil as she held his hand, "vil... you've been thinking about this for the past few days?" vil did not utter a response as he squeezed her hand back.

vil let out a sigh as he continued, "we stood on stage drained of both magical energy and stamina. no matter how hard we rehearsed, i can't imagine being able to bring out our 100% that way."

epel shook his head and said, "that's not true! that performance was the best we've ever done yet!" deuce nodded in agreement as he added, "i agree. you, no... everyone was able to perform magnificently that time!"

"... well, i mean... that 'best' is just our opinion," remarked ace as f/n and the rest glanced at him. "wha—?! how could you say that?!" exclaimed deuce.

"we managed to survive a life-or-death battle, and we were lucky enough to have malleus-senpai save our asses, too... we just danced with the last of our energy," replied ace, "it was really awesome, and i think that it's our best performance, too. but..."

"the audience may not feel the same," mumbled f/n. ace turned to the diasomnia student and nodded as vil said, "it is as they say. you'll notice it the more you watch the recorded video as well... it is easy to tell that we weren't performing at our best. mismatched positioning, feet so tired we couldn't even life them, sloppy handwork... it was the result of an intense fight, so it's only natural. we did our best, but it was not flawless."