41

Nat and Kai drove through DC trying to find Steve Rogers for his and Nat's mission. They found him talking to a man next to the Washington Monument. Nat rolled down the window of the passenger seat.
" Hey fellas, do either of know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil." Nat said.
" Oop never mind found it." Kai said poking her head in between the two front seats from the back.

" Hilarious." Steve said as he walked to the car.
He got in and the man he was talking to squatted down to look at them.
" Hey how you doin'?" Sam asked Nat.
" Hey." Nat said.
" Can't run everywhere." Steve told him.
" No you can't." Sam shook his head.
" She's single by the way. Her number is-" Kai started but Nat drove off.

Kai flew back in her seat but still laughed.
" You have to quit doing that." Nat told her.
" Why? You need to get out there. Who was that Rogers?" Kai asked.
" Sam Wilson. He was in the Air Force." Steve told her.
" You do you like him Steve?" Kai asked.
" He's a nice man. He told me about someone called Marvin Gaye." Steve told them.

" See he's a military man, he's cute, he has great taste in music, and he's got the Captain America stamp of approval." Kai said.
" Yeah come on Nat, live a little." Steve teased.
" Says you Rogers. Hey did you give that girl a call?" Nat asked.
" Uhh no..." Steve said.
" Steven Grant Rogers." Nat and Kai scolded him.

" What? What?" Steve asked.
" Why didn't you call Diana?" Nat asked.
" She's so sweet and does palates." Kai told him.
Steve looked between the two girls.
" You two are really meant for each other you know that?" Steve said.
" We know." They said together.

¥¥¥

Later that night Nat walked back into her and Kai's little apartment.
" Hey, how'd the mission go?" Kai asked as she turned off the TV.
" Successful. Although Rogers is pretty mad at me for not telling him about my mission." Nat told her as she joined her on the couch.
" I'm sure he'll get over it. He always does." Kai told her.
" Yeah I guess what have you been up too?" Nat asked.

" I just sent a letter to Harry." Kai told her.
" Finally you brought him up, I thought I was going to." Nat sighed.
" What do you mean?" Kai chuckled.
" I mean I haven't heard much about him since he finally asked you to be his girlfriend." Nat said.
" Oh well what do you want to know about him?" Kai asked.

" Is he good to you? I mean he better be or we're going to have a problem. Does his family like you? Have you met his family?" Nat asked.
" He's good to me Natty. We argue sometimes though but I think it's just cause we're both so stubborn. And his parents died when he was a baby and don't think his aunt, uncle and cousin even knows about me. He mostly spends time with the Weasley's." Kai explained.
" Speaking of the Weasley's that one-the twin, he seems very...friendly." Nat tried finding the right word.

" Oh you mean Fred? Yeah that's just his personality." Kai told her.
" Hm okay. What about the girl Hermione?" Nat asked.
" She's the best friend I have over there. I mean obviously you're my best friend in the entire world but she's becoming a close second." Kai told her.
" You're not going to replace me are you Kai?" Nat asked with a fake gasp.

" I could ask you the same with Rogers. I thought it was just suppose to be you, me, Clint and Laura." Kai said.
" Yeah well then Clint and Laura had to have kids." Nat rolled her eyes jokingly.
Kai laughed.
" I guess we gotta extend our little group a bit." Nat told her placing her arm around Kai and leaning back into the couch.

" What if we get hurt?" Kai asked leaning back as well.
" I think you and I are both too smart to ever let someone that would hurt us." Nat assured her.
Kai nodded as Nat turned on back the TV.

                                       ¥¥¥

A call that made both girls hearts drop and immediately rush out the door was made by Maria Hill. She had told them that Nick was in the hospital undergoing surgery after he was shot about three times in non other than Steve Rogers home.

The two girls drove quickly to the hospital and rushed into an observation room. Maria and Steve were already inside.
" Is he going to make it?" Nat asked.
" We don't know yet." Steve told her.
" Tell me about the shooter." Nat said.
" He was fast. Strong. Had a metal arm." Steve told her.
Nat and Kai exchanged a glance.

Kai had never met the Winter Solider as he was called in the spy world. But she did remember Nat coming back from a failed mission with a perfect hole in her stomach. Plus S.H.I.E.L.D. had been keeping taps on him for years way longer then both Kai and Nat's involvement.
" Ballistics?" Nat asked Maria.
" Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." Maria told them.
" Soviet-made." Kai said.
" Yeah." Maria confirmed.

Suddenly from inside the operating room a beeping noise went off and the surgeons and nurses started frantically moving around. They shocked him, no response. Again, nothing. They examined him for a moment. They-they called it.

" Shit." Kai's head fell as tears spilt from her eyes.

¥¥¥

Nat and Kai stood next to Nicks body just staring at him. Silently wishing this was all a mistake. Neither one had ever been too good with words so they just stood there silently.
" Natasha, Kai." Steve came up behind them.
Nat lent down and gave Nick a kiss on the head and Kai squeezed his shoulder. Then Nat wrapped her arm around Kai and they started briskly walking out of the room.

" Natasha." Steve called as he walked after them.
" Why was Fury at your apartment?" Nat asked.
" I don't know." Steve shrugged.
" Cap they want you back at S.H.I.E.L.D." Rumlow told him from behind.
" Yeah give me a second." Steve told him.
" They want you now." Rumlow said.
" Okay." Steve nodded before looking back at Nat.

" You're a terrible lair." Nat told him before leading Kai back out of the building.