75

Kai sat on the Hogwarts Express looking at the window watching the country side whiz past her. In this melancholy moment, she was really regretting her decision of coming back. Why was she back here? Honestly. Kai knew where she belonged and it wasn't here. She never belonged here. She belonged back at campus with Nat, Steve, Wanda, Sam, and Vision. She belonged with the Barton's. But not here.

Maybe if she wrote a letter to Nat, she could get her out. Kai heard the door slide open and turned to look at whoever was entering.
" Kai!" Hermione smiled brightly.
" Mione!" Kai sighed in relief and stood to hug her best friend.
Hermione met her half way and wrapped her arms tightly around the Slytherin. Kai hugged back just as tight.
" Oh my god, I missed you so much." Kai told her.
" Oo I missed you more." Hermione said.
" How was your summer? I heard about all the attacks you're okay right?" Kai asked pulling away.

" I was fine since I was in the Muggle World. I was mostly worried for Ron and Ha-" Hermione stopped mid sentence.
" You can say his name Mione. Not like he's Voldemort, or even worse Beetlejuice." Kai assured her.
" Right, well I saw you on the news. You saved the world." Hermione said as they sat down.
" Yeah well I do that a lot so nothing special this time." Kai joked.
" I'm just glad you are okay." Hermione said.

" I'm glad you are too. And the boys?" Kai asked.
" Both are completely fine." Hermione nodded.
" Good, good. I'm glad they are okay." Kai said awkwardly.
They sat in silence for a moment.
" Oh can we please just talk about what happened this summer?" Hermione groaned.
" Yes please. Okay so basically I just received a letter from Harry one day out of the blue saying that he was sorry but he couldn't be with me anymore and that I hope I understand. That's all it said, and then I sent him like five letters afterwards trying to get an explanation out of him, and he just completely ignored me." Kai explained.

" I haven't even known you two broke up until you sent me Leia this summer to take care of while you were on a mission. I used Leia to write to Harry cause he hadn't written to me. And he told me that you two had broken up but wouldn't elaborate." Hermione told her.
" Does Ron know why?" Kai asked.
" He didn't even know until a week ago." Hermione shook her head.
Kai deflated a bit. All she wanted was answers, is that so much to ask for.
" But-uh Cho did come by the compartment earlier and they hugged and then stepped outside and talked for a bit." Hermione confessed.

" I wish that he would have just told me he wanted to be with her instead of all this secrecy." Kai looked down.
" He's a down right git for it." Ron's voice came from the hall.
They looked up and saw him entering their compartment.
" Hey Weasley." Kai smiled.
" Hey Romanoff." Ron smiled back and sat across from them.

" Where's Harry?" Hermione asked.
" Dunno, he just grabbed his stuff and said he had to do something then left." Ron shrugged.
" Well it's good to see you again." Kai told him.
" You too, ya know I saw you on the news. And I also saw a new girl, so what's her name, story, maybe address so I can send her an owl?" Ron asked.
" Honestly Ronald she saved the entire world and you are trying to hit on her friend?" Hermione scoffed.
" Would you rather me hit on you?" Ron asked.
" I'd actually think I'd throw up." Hermione told him.

For the first time the this whole ride Kai felt a natural smile appear on her face as she listened to them bicker back and forth.

                                         ¥¥¥

Ron and Hermione stayed with Kai the rest of the ride and even walked the whole way to the castle together. Ginny even joined them and wasted no time on filling Kai in on her new relationship with Dean. To which Ron rolled his eyes and changed the topic and Hermione slapped his arm.

" You sitting with us?" Ginny asked Kai.
" Oh um nah, I'll just sit at my table. See you guys tomorrow." Kai waved before walking towards the Slytherin table.
She looked down the table for her cousin but didn't see him.
" Ah look who decided to grace us with her presence." Blaise said.
Kai looked over at Blaise and the rest of Draco's friends.
" Zucchini." Kai teased.
" Sit down love." Blaise gestured to the the spot across from him.

Kai took his offer and sat down.
" My, my don't you look as good as ever." Blaise flirted.
" What do you want Zucchini?" Kai asked.
" I have proposition for you, but I can't talk about it here. Meet me in the Astronomy Tower after dinner?" Blaise asked.
" Hm fine, but only because you let me call you Zucchini." Kai smirked.
" I let you call me that because I love the way your mouth moves when you say it." Blaise matched her smirk.

" Ugh I'd rather not watch you flirt with my cousins Zabini." Draco said as he sat next to Kai.
She looked at Blaise and mouthed the word Zucchini. Blaise smiled and gave a quick apology to Draco before turning away.
" Cousin." Kai looked at Draco.
" Cousin." Draco looked at her.
" What's wrong?" Kai asked noticing his tired eyes.
" I'll tell you later." Draco whispered.
Kai just nodded and left it alone.

Snape walked briskly past them glancing at Kia for a moment but then stopping a little in front of them. He dramatically turned around his robes flowing behind them. His eyes narrowed on Kai and he walked to her.
" Miss Romanoff what are you doing sitting here?" Snape asked.
" This is the Slytherin table isn't it? I'm in Slytherin..." Kai said.
" Why aren't you sitting over at Gryffindor?" Snape asked.
Kai shrugged and went to say something but got cut off.
" What ever game you are playing stop it. If you are not sitting at Gryffindor table tomorrow morning I'll be happy to give you your first detention for scheming." Snape told her before walking towards the teachers table.

" What a strange man." Kai said.
" Damn looked at Potter." Theo said.
Everyone turned and saw him walking in with his nose bleeding. Kai felt pain in her heart seeing him hurt and also just seeing him in general. And out of the hundreds of eyes on him, Harry still immediately felt and found Kai's. She looked good, real good. Suddenly he couldn't even feel the pain from his nose, all the hurt seemed to rush to his heart. He looked away quickly, thinking he would quite literally die from a heart attack if he stared at her any longer.

Once he looked away, she did as well. None of the Slytherins said anything to her about him. According to Ginny her and Harry's break up had been the talk of summer among her peers. Rita Skeeter had even printed it in the paper. Which was just great, now Kai was famous in both worlds. Can you smell the sarcasm?