46

" This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility. See it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." Fury said.
" We have to stop the launch." Nat said.
" I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Fury said opening up a briefcase.
" What's that?" Sam asked.

" Once the helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized." Maria explained.
" We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Fury said.
" One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work. Because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die." Maria told them.

" We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them insert third sever blades. And maybe we can salvage what's-" Fury started.
" We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers Nick. We're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D." Steve told him.
Kai felt her heart sink a little. S.H.I.E.L.D. was her first real home the place she always felt she belonged. But Steve was right it was too messy just to clean up they had to completely get rid of it.

" S.H.I.E.L.D. had nothing to do with this." Nick said.
" You gave me this mission. This is how it ends. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s been compromised. You said it yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." Steve said.
" Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Nick told him.
" How many paid the price before you did?" Steve asked.

" Look I didn't know about Barnes." Nick told him.
" Even if you did would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, it all goes." Steve said.
" He's right." Kai nodded.
Fury looked at Maria and Nat and they both gave their silent agreement. Then he looked at Sam.
" Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower." Sam told him.

" Well...looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain." Fury said.

¥¥¥

Nat had disguised herself and was now walking inside S.H.I.E.L.D. While Steve, Maria, and Sam watched Kai create a disruption in the earpieces of the agents. One of the agents opened the door.
" Well hello there." Kai said before punching him unconscious.
" That was a StarWars reference." Kai told Steve.
" Thanks." Steve said unamused.
" You liked it." Kai said to Sam.
" It was very good." Sam nodded.

" I know." Kai smirked as they made their way towards the PA system.
" Okay Cap, you're on." Maria told him pushing a button.

" Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." Steve said.

" Did you write that down first or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asked.
" Well, it doesn't matter. There going up. Looks like we're going to have to back up those words with action." Kai said looking out the window.
" Each of us takes one. We reprogram each and stop this." Steve handed them the disks.
" Got it Cap." Sam nodded.