83

That night Kai climb onto the roof of the compound just to think. When she got all the way on she saw someone sitting on the edge.
" Yo!" Kai called.
They turned around and Kai got a good look at their outfit. They were wearing red and blue, pajamas?
" I'm-I'm so sorry." A teenage boys voice came through the mask.
Kai made her way towards him.
" I didn't mean to scare you. Actually that's a lie I did want to scare you, but I thought you were like a grown man." Kai told him.

" I am grown." His voice cracked.
" Oh yeah, I'd believe it. Bug boy." Kai noticed the spider on his chest.
" It's actually Spider-Man." He told her.
" Not until you finish puberty." Kai crossed her arms across her chest.
" You're a very rude person." He said.
" I'm sorry, I'm just going through-a thing." Kai told him vaguely.
" I hate-things." He nodded.
" Me too, they are the worse." Kai also nodded.

They just stared at each other for a moment.
" You'd probably like an explanation on why I'm on your roof." He said.
" That would be nice." Kai told him.
" Well-I um a superhero-" He started.
" Vigilante." Kai corrected.
" And it's like my biggest dream to be apart of the Avengers some day. I just like to come here and imagine what it would be like to be one." He explained.

" Hm. Gotta say never heard that one before." Kai nodded.
" I'm not lying." He protested.
" Oh I know you aren't, that's what makes this even sadder." Kai told him.
" Ya know I'm sorta feeling a little emotionally attacked right now, so I'm just gonna go." He hung off the ledge.
" Hey Bug Boy. If you wanna be an Avenger, I'm sure you got it in you." Kai said before he left.
" Thanks Kai Romanoff." He nodded.
" Now get off my roof." Kai said.
He crawled down the side then shot a web towards a tree and swung off.

" Gonna have to keep that one on my radar." Kai made a mental note.

                                       ¥¥¥

" Dear Kai,
              I hope this letter reaches you well. First of all, Happy Christmas. I bet you are happy to be back home spending the holidays with your family, but I must confess I miss you. Tonks misses you as well. By the time this owl reaches you, we will be at the Weasley's. I know you are going to ask, but I'm completely fine. The cycle has been harsh but Tonks does a right good job of helping me through it. I suspect you don't care, but I will be seeing Harry this holiday and I will make sure he doesn't get himself into trouble. Unfortunately I must end this letter with a warning. Anyone involved with the Ministry incident last year, is now being followed by a deatheater. We haven't figured out who's been assigned to you, however do not fret, it's far to risky right now for them to attack you in the Muggle World, especially the American Muggle World.
                             All my love, your friend
                                                             Remus Lupin."

Kai read the one of the two letters sitting on her desk. She missed Remus too, tremendously. But she was extremely happy to be home and not in England for Christmas. That didn't keep her from slumming around the compound when no one was watching.

Kai went to open her next letter but her door swinging open interrupted her.
" So are you going to be in bad mood all break, or are you going to come celebrate Christmas?" Tony asked.
" Who said I was in a bad mood?" Kai asked.
" Oh just like everyone." Tony told her.
" I'm not in a bad mood. I'm happy to be home." She rebuttal.
" Then prove it. We are making Christmas cookies down stairs. Natasha says you are quite the artist, come decorate." He said.

" I'm kinda in the middle-" Kai started.
But she was picked up and thrown over Tony's shoulder.
" Hey-" Kai started to protest but the loud Christmas music playing throughout the compound drowned her out.
Tony carried her all the way to the kitchen then plopped her down on a chair. Everyone cheered when Kai entered.

Nat and Steve were rolling dough, Wanda and Cedric were cutting the dough in shapes, and Sam was decorating the baked ones.
" You can help Sam." Tony told her before pouring himself some 'adult eggnog'.
Kai looked at all the cookies Sam had decorated. They all wore goggles and had wings.
" Everyone gets a Falcon cookie." Sam smiled proudly.
" Everyone will be so happy." Kai nodded.

Sam handed her own cookie to decorate. With the music, everyone chatting, and the smell cookies it was easy for Kai to forget about school and get into the spirit. Although, the vibe was kinda ruined when Tony had too much eggnog and forgot to take the cookies out of the oven-catching the oven on fire. But up until that part it was all great.

Kai looked around at all the decorations in the now smoky kitchen and one though pop in her head. Why the fuck did we make so many cookies?

                                        ¥¥¥

At the end of the night Kai made her way back up to her room. She fall onto her bed and looked to the side. She saw her unopened letter still sitting on her desk. Kai sat back up and walked towards her desk. She opened the letter and started to read.

"  Kai,
         I should not be writing this letter. It could get us both into so much trouble. But I had to let you know that I have just gotten word that Barty Crouch Jr. is among the last few to be broken out of Azkaban, the day before term starts again. I know your history with him and figured it was only right for you to hear about this before it was on the front page of the Prophet.
                                                            Your cousin."

Kai read the letter multiple times, making sure she didn't miss anything. They couldn't let Barty out. He killed her parents, he tried killing Harry, he almost killed Cedric. No, no, no he could not be broken out. Kai racked her brain for a solution.

But only one entered her mind. She couldn't do that-that wasn't her, that was the Widow in her talking. It was intoxicating thought though and took up the entirety of her mind.

Before she talk herself out of it, she pulled out her own piece of parchment and started writing to Blaise. Short and simple, she put the letter in an envelope and gave it to Leia, and watched as Leia carried it off into the night.