10. DEVON: I MADE A MISTAKE

She shivered against me. Her hands slowly slid up my chest to grip my shoulders. I waited for her to answer, but she didn't. Her hands were trembling as were her body. My frown deepened. It was clear that something shook her up otherwise she wouldn't have been here in my bedroom.

"Val? What are you doing here?" I asked again. "Did something happen?"

"I had a bad dream," she whispered. "I needed to see that you're okay."

I moved slightly to free my hand. Cupping her cheek, I stroked her skin with my thumb. Her temperature was higher than it was earlier. Worry filled me. Maybe we should call the doctor again. My eyes darted over to the clock on my nightstand. It was almost two o'clock in the morning. I glanced down at her again.

"We should get you back to bed, little dove. It's okay. It was just a bad dream."

I carefully sat up. My hands reached for the sheets to cover my nakedness. Valeria wasn't ready for that step yet—especially after what happened between her and David in the pool. We needed to take things slow no matter how badly we wanted her.

I reached for her and pulled her up into a sitting position. She scooted closer to the edge of the bed. I hesitated and then stood, taking the sheets with me. I wrapped it around my waist before turning back to her. She made a strange sound at the back of her throat and then doubled over. Something hot and wet splashed against my feet and legs. The smell of vomit made me wince. Shit! I stepped aside and reached out to move her hair out of the way.

"S-sorry," she croaked as she sat up.

"It's okay," I muttered.

I hooked my hands under her armpits and picked her up. Placing her on my hip, I walked towards the bathroom. The light blinded me for a few seconds once I found the light switch. Carrying her over to the faucet, I slowly lowered her to her feet and then turned her around. I reached around her to open the tap. She leaned forward to rinse her mouth. Our eyes locked in the mirror. Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes teary. She had a fever.

"Are you okay now?" She shook her head. "What's wrong? How are you feeling?"

"My head hurts. I'm cold but so hot. I f-feel strange," she whispered.

"I'll call the doctor, baby. Let's get you into bed first."

I moved her over to the toilet. Closing the lid, I guided her so she could sit down. I walked back into my bedroom and grabbed a clean shirt for her and some clean shorts for me. Valeria was still seated on the toilet when I entered the bathroom again. I grabbed the washcloth and wet it before kneeling in front of her. Gripping the hem of her soiled shirt, I tugged it up and over her head.

"I wanna take a shower," she mumbled.

"You can't get your hair wet. I don't think we have any shower caps for you to use."

"Then a bath."

I hesitated and then gave her a nod. A few minutes later that bathtub was filled half with lukewarm water. I lowered her into the water and moved back. Her eyes darted up to mine. She gave me a small smile and then raised her arm to hold her hand up to me with her palm up.

"Get in with me?" I shook my head. "Please?"

Her bottom lip started to tremble. I sighed and turned around. Dropping the sheet on the floor, I stepped into the shower to wash away the vomit. I watched the dirty water go down the drain as I weighed the pros and cons of getting into the bath with her. Water splashed. It was enough to break me out of my thoughts. My eyes darted over to the bathtub the moment I stepped out of the shower. She was leaning back with her eyes closed. My eyes dropped to her chest. She was almost panting.