42. EVA: GETTING ANSWERS

"H-how much did y-you hear?" I asked softly.

Granddad pursed his lips as he glanced between the two of us. "Enough," he growled.

"Are you going to tell Dad?" Ariana glanced at me. "Eva's only throwing out accusations. Nothing's true."

He hesitated before he entered the kitchen. Granddad stopped next to Ariana and frowned down at her.

"Accusations or not," he muttered, "the things she pointed out are a bit worrying."

Her lips parted but she said nothing. With the shake of her head and a glare in my direction, she stormed out of the kitchen. Granddad instantly turned to face me once she was out of sight.

"What's your plan?"

"What do you mean?" I tried to act normal but guilty colour flooded my cheeks.

"I know you, Eva," he said. "I know that you're planning something."

My shoulders slumped. "Fine. I'm planning on proving that I'm right but I don't exactly know how I'm going to do it."

Walking over to the fridge, he opened it and stared at the contents for a few minutes. With a slight shake of his head, he grabbed a water botte and then turned to face me.

"Do you know his full name?" he asked.

"I know where he lives too," I told him with a small smile.

"I only need his full name for now." Granddad walked closer until only a few inches separated us. "I want you to stay out of it until I find something on him."

"But why?"

He rolled his eyes. "Because I said so. I want to make sure that—"

His words were cut off when Grayson suddenly entered the kitchen. He paused and frowned at us but he said nothing as he walked past and out the back door.

"Let me know what you find," I muttered to Granddad before I hurried after Grayson.

I stumbled to a stop and glanced around. He had walked through the door only a second ago but he had already disappeared. It shouldn't be that much of a surprise considering the fact that I had seen how fast he could move.

Was it related to his mixed breeding?

I frowned as my eyes darted around once more.

Grayson's house was in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees in all directions. There was a distance of at least five miles between the trees and the house. The grass was neatly cut all the way to the tree line.

Turning, I was just about to head back inside when movement caught my attention. I frowned as I stared at them.

Grayson was busy talking to his brother to the east of the house. Emeric was staring down at the ground as his brother spoke but whatever Grayson said made his head snap up.

I wished that I was closer so I could hear what they were talking about. Was it about Grayson's pack?

Where was his pack anyway? It was a question that had been bothering me ever since we arrived at his pack. Wasn't an Alpha supposed to interact with his pack? I even considered the fact that his pack might be spread out around town, but thought better of that since there were too many humans around.

Shaking my head, I looked back to where Grayson and Emeric stood, only to find them walking deeper into the forest. My curiosity had me hurrying to catch up with them.

***

I couldn't shake off the feeling that someone was following me. Every time I glanced over my shoulder, I found nobody there. It couldn't be Grayson or Emeric since both of them were still a few feet in front of me. They were both silent as they followed the well-walked dirt path.