46. VALERIA: MEETING DAVID'S FATHER

The men reacted before I could. I stumbled slightly when they spun and pushed me behind them. Their loud growls echoed around the room. David stepped slightly in front of Devon. It was good to know that their relationship went deeper than they let everyone believe.

"I told you that you are not welcome here."

"So I remember," the man muttered. "I was missing my son so I decided to stop by." He cleared his throat. "I also wanted to see if all the rumours were true."

"Leave," David growled. "Now."

Fear rushed down my spine when he laughed. There was no humour—his laugh was emotionless and so damn cold. I stepped closer to them and stood on tip-toes to risk a look over their shoulders. All I could see was his dark hair. A hand suddenly shot out to grip my hip. Devon turned, keeping his hand on my hip. The look in his eyes scared me. I had the urge to run away from him.

"Aren't you going to introduce me to your mate?"

I sucked in a sharp breath and reached down to grip Devon's wrist. His hold on me was painful. He instantly loosened his hold. I refused to meet his eyes. Who was this man? Why were they so eager for him to leave? Why wouldn't they introduce us? He called David his son so that must mean . . . he was the father they didn't want visiting.

"No," David growled. "You stay the fuck away from her."

My eyes snapped up to Devon's when I felt his body start to vibrate. His lips were pursed and his fists clenched tightly at his sides. His sharp teeth dented his bottom lip. I watched in surprise as hair sprouted along his arms and chest before disappearing and then appearing again. Devon was fighting not to shift. I reached up and pressed my hands against his chest.

"Calm down," I whispered. "Shh. It's okay. I'm okay. Relax."

He growled and gripped my hips. His hold hurt but I said nothing. For some reason, he hated this man. I winced when he tugged me hard against his body lowered his face. Sharp teeth gripped my shoulder. It was the first time I felt scared of him. Was he going to bite me?

"Wrin please escort this man off my land," David ordered loudly. "If I find you on my land again, I will kill you."

I raised my head and glanced around. For the first time, I realize that we weren't alone at all. Somehow without me realizing it, the room had filled with men and a few women. They must've been watching us fighting.

I swallowed when Devon's hold on my shoulder tightened. He wasn't breaking skin just yet, but he could at any moment. My eyes snapped to David when he moved. He walked over to where they had dropped their shirts and bent to pick them up. His eyes locked with mine as he approached us. David was just as pissed but he was better at controlling it than Devon.

He stopped next to us. Placing a hand on Devon's shoulder, he leaned down and whispered something in his ear. Devon nodded and finally let my shoulder go with his teeth. He straightened but didn't move away from me.

"Put this on doll," David ordered softly, holding out a shirt.

I instantly took it from him and pulled it on. I felt a little better once my body was covered. Devon stepped away from me. His dark eyes darted around before locking with mine. I gasped when he grabbed my ponytail and tugged. My eyes widened. Anything I was going to say was forgotten when his lips smashed down on mine. He kissed me until my knees were weak and I could do nothing but cling to him. His lips were pulled up in a smirk when he pulled away.

"I'm going for a run," he muttered. "I'll see you later, little dove."

There was a promise in his low voice that made anticipation fill me. I licked my lips as I watched him stroll to the exit. What were they planning?