71. SILAS: ANSWERS AND EXPLANATIONS

The phone rang twice before it went over to voicemail. My hands curled into fists when I dialed again and the same thing happened. Why wasn't he answering? My eyes darted over to the clock. It was late and he was probably sleeping or busy with his son. Somehow I couldn't imagine Avery taking care of a newborn baby.

"Drink?"

I hesitated and then nodded at him. Axel poured each of us a glass of whiskey. He placed my glass down on the desk in front of me before he took a seat on one of the couches. I hesitated before I stood and took a seat opposite him. I took a big gulp of my drink and then relaxed. I'll try calling him again in a few minutes.

"What do you want to know?" I asked him when he stayed silent.

"Everything."

"You understand that you can't tell anybody about this?"

He took a sip of his drink. "After what I saw today, an explanation is in order, don't you think?"

"Well. . ." I started from the beginning and told him everything I couldn't when we first met. I told him about my troubles with the pack and why I left. Of course I skipped those years he already knew about and then continued from where I met Lara and everything that has happened since up until the present.

All the while Axel stayed silent and took it all in. When I was done, he stayed silent for a few more minutes before he started asking questions. I answered as best as I could without giving much more away.

Axel and I have known each other since we were eighteen. We met a few days after I left the pack to come here. Axel was the one who helped me get a job. He was the one who spurred me on when I first started my own company. Axel was there when I was at my worst. He became my brother even though we weren't blood related.

It was during those years when I learned what Axel was suffering through. His father was a drunken bastard and him mother an abusing druggie. It took time but I had managed to break him free from them. A part of me was scared that he would take the path he grew up with, but Axel had surprised me. He had chosen to take the right path.

"Why were you drunk out of your mind yesterday?" I questioned and hour later after I had finished talking to him.

"Another drink?"

I shook my head and watched him as he poured himself another glass. He downed it and then poured another.

"I got a call from the prison."

"What did they say?"

Axel gave a cruel laugh as he turned towards me. "The bastard is dead."

"Your father?" I questioned in surprise. "How?"

He licked his lips and took another drink. "Got killed in prison. I should feel at least a little remorse, right? I don't feel a fucking thing. I'm happy that he's dead."

"So am I." I took the bottle from him before he could pour himself another drink. "Alcohol isn't the answer, you know that."

"I just need something to numb the pain."

Placing the bottle back down, I turned towards him and gripped his shoulders. "Alcohol never did anyone any good. We both know how badly things are going to end for you if you drink this."

"I—" He shook his head. "You're right."

"I'm always right." I smirked at him. "I have a job for you if you want something to take your mind off him."

He hesitated. "What do you have in mind?"

"We need to find Lara's mother before she tells anyone anything."