36. LUCAS: THE WRONG PATH

The pounding in my head matched the rhythm of my heartbeat. My stomach rolled with nausea as I tried to lift my head.

Grinding my teeth, I forced my body up. A few deep breathes and the nausea slowly passed. With my eyes still squeezed closed, I swung my legs over the edge of the bed.

I couldn't sense anyone in the room with me, but the fucking problem was that I had no idea where I was. My brows dipped into a frown as I tried to pull up the last memory I had of where we were.

All I could remember was Eva trying to force the knife into Ariana's hand.

Fear hit me hard.

Had they been captured by them?

Fuck!

My eyes snapped open which I instantly regretted.

I dropped my head into my hands with a groan. A stabbing my pain flashed through my head. I waited a few minutes and then opened my eyes again.

The room was strangely familiar.

A few more seconds of confusion passed before it cleared. I knew exactly where I was but I had no clue if the twins were with me or not.

"You're up."

I raised my head to look at the man who entered the room.

Emeric, Grayson's brother, walked over to me and lowered a plate of sandwiches to the bedside table.

"Where are they?" I asked him.

"At Grayson's house," he answered. "Grayson wants you to stay here until he comes to get you."

"Why?"

Emeric hesitated. "He healed you and he doesn't want anybody else to know."

"I want to see the twins," I demanded.

"You can't," he growled.

"Then let me talk to Ariana."

My eyes shot up to his when he pulled his phone from his pocket and then dialled a number.

"Give the phone to Ariana," he ordered whoever answered. "He wants to talk to her."

Five minutes passed before he handed the phone over to me. I pressed it to my ear and waited.

"Lucas?"

My shoulders sagged. "Ariana, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just worried about you. Are you okay? Where are you?"

I swallowed. "I'm fine." I hesitated a moment. "Eva?"

Ariana sighed. "She's fine. Pissed at me because I..."

"You?" I urged when she fell silent.

"I confronted her about...what happened at Ethan's house in the bathroom," she said but her voice lowered a few notches.

I glanced up at Emeric. "Is Grayson with you?"

"Yes." She sucked in a breath. "Lucas, are you sure that you're okay? I-I saw the w-wound and—"

"Doll," I breathed when I realized how close she was to tears. "I promise you that I'm okay."

"I want to see you," she whispered.

Emeric stepped closer and held his hand out. Our time was up.

"Soon, doll," I told her. "Stay with your father, okay?"

I hung up before she could utter another word. Handing the phone over to Emeric, I stood and swayed. His hands shot out to grab my shoulders. Letting out a low growl, he pushed me back down onto the bed and flashed his teeth at me.