44. DAVID: SETTING THINGS IN MOTION

"It's a good idea."

"You expect them to fight in a war?" one of the elders yelled. "They will be killed instantly."

Mummers filled the room. I glanced around at the elders leaning towards each other to give a piece of their mind to one another. My eyes darted down to Devon who sat silently in the chair next to mine. Our eyes locked. I could see the anger slowly shimmering in his grey eyes. I slammed my fist down on the table when the voices rose. Silence instantly descended.

I found the list Val had made on my desk when I went in search of a file. She made some good points. If we could get the elders to agree to this, it would make things a whole lot easier. We were going through with this either way, whether they agreed or not. It was our responsibility to take care of the pack.

"Valeria suggested to have the kids learn how to fight and we agree." I held my hand up to silence them. "No one said anything about the kids fighting alongside us. She pointed out that they need a safe place to hide if we're attacked again."

Devon stood and leaned forward. "We lose more children and elders because they don't know how to defend themselves or they aren't fast enough." He straightened. "If it so happens that they find themselves in a life or death situation, they would be able to fight. The weak need to protect themselves in any kind of situation."

"We are going through with this, whether you agree or not," I said softly. "You are our elders and we respect you, but when it comes to the well-being of our pack, we will make the decisions."

"Meeting dismissed," Devon called.

I sank down in the chair again and watched them as they exit the room. Once the last man had exited, Devon walked over to the door and closed it. His shoulders sagged. Running a hand through his hair, he made his way back over to the desk and sank into the chair again. He looked pale and tired.

I hesitated before I took a seat. Pulling the notebook closer, I ripped the top page off and placed it aside. I picked up the pen and started making a new list. It was divided between things Devon's pack could do and things my pack could do.

We both had people we could trust. We needed to work through this list without alerting the traitor of what was happening. It was easier said than done.

"I'll take care of these and you can take care of those," I muttered as I turned my chair towards him.

"Do you think going against the elders is wise?" he asked softly.

"Probably not, but I'm not going to sit back and allow more people to die. Val made some good suggestions. The elders are still bitter that we choose Val as our mate and that's why they are against everything she suggests."

"I'm just sick and tired of all this," he muttered. "She acts like it doesn't get to her but I know it does. She wants the pack to accept her."

I placed my hand on his knee. "They will. Val will find a way to make them accept her. One way or another."

His eyes locked with mine. I could feel the heat rush through my body. My heartbeat increased. Devon sat up straighter and moved his leg. My hand slid from his knee. It hurt a little but I knew pushing things was going to make it a whole lot worse.

Val had given us something but it hasn't gone farther than some touching. There has been less touching too. I had one night of pleasure. It was more than I could ask for.

Devon leaned forward. "I want to try something."

I frowned but gave him a nod.

My whole body froze when he reached out and gripped the back of my neck. Devon tugged me closer at the same time he leaned forward. I watched as his eyes closed a second before his lips smashed down on mine. Shock held me immobile as his lips moved against mine. It only took me all but five seconds to realize what was happening.