32. ETHAN: RETRIBUTION

I tensed when my office door opened and Calib entered.

"Have you traced the scents?" I questioned when he said nothing.

Calib cleared his throat. "Yes, Alpha. We've located them."

"Who attacked them?"

I caught his hesitation. The silence continued to stretch between us. I finished the sentence I was writing, lowered the pen and slowly leaned back in the chair. My eyes instantly located him leaning against the wall next to the door. His hands were clutched in front of him and his eyes lowered to the floor.

A grim smile slid onto my face. "Your silence is starting to get on my nerve Beta."

His body snapped up and his hands fell to his side. I heard him swallow before he raised his eyes to mine.

"We have traced the scent, Alpha. The ones who attacked your brother and his mate are from our own pack."

"Including your brother," I added.

His eyes widened as he paled. "He's just a kid. You know how easily the young ones get influenced by—"

"It's not an excuse," I interrupted him.

"He's just a kid," he repeated softly.

Silas was just a kid when he started getting in trouble. From fighting to stealing and everything else he wanted to do. Our parents didn't step in when the troubles started. They thought that it was just something he was going through and that he would get over it, but it didn't stop. It got worse and worse and by the time they realized it, it was already too late to change a thing.

"I want everyone who attacked them to be at the podium in half an hour."

"Ethan—"

"It's not up for debate!" I yelled. "I can't be lenient with him just because he's your brother. He made a choice by going along with them. They will all be punished; including your little brother."

Pain flashed through his eyes. Calib opened his mouth and then closed it again. He gave me a stiff nod, spun around and stormed out of the room. I winced when the door slammed shut loudly behind him. Any other time I would've been furious with his show of disrespect towards me, but not at the moment.

I had somewhere to be before I handed out their punishments.

I stood and walked out of my office. My feet carried me over to the staircase. I hesitated with a foot on the bottom step. My mother was upstairs with Lara; I could hear them talking but not what they were saying.

It was a relief to know that she had managed to talk Lara into coming home to eat and rest. The paleness of her skin and her rabid weight lose was starting to worry me. I knew I fucked up when I bit her and I deeply regretted losing control. But there was no taking back what I did.

A door closed softly from upstairs. I listened to the soft footsteps across the landing and then glanced up when they stopped. My mother stared down at me with a frown. I hated the disappointment I saw in her eyes.

"Is she sleeping?" I asked softly.

My mother hesitated and then nodded. "She was climbing into bed when I left."

"Good." I turned; ready to walk away, but her soft voice halted me.

"You can't avoid her forever. One day you're going to have to live up to what you'd done and face her. Running away from your problems never solved them, Ethan."

I swallowed. "It's not the right time."

I walked away, ignoring her as she called my name. Talking to Lara was the last thing I wanted to do right now. I forced all thoughts from my mind as I followed the path that led to the town. Members greeted me as they passed. I caught the eyes of a few of them who stood talking in groups. They were gossiping about our family—or more specifically, my brother and his mate.