51. DEVON: PREPARATION

Supplies were being moved to the safe room while the women and children were being informed of what had happened. David was briefing the Enforces, Val was in the bathroom, and me, I was sitting staring down at the letter. The smoke had messed up my sense of smell. Even now, an hour later I still couldn't get over what had happened.

If David hadn't woken first, we would've lost her. A shudder raced down my spine. She was so close to the flames. If he hadn't grabbed her. . .I squeezed my eyes closed and sucked in a deep breath. I should've been more alert.

"All the men are moving into position."

I opened my eyes and watched David as he entered and closed the door behind him. His eyes darted around before he made his way over to me, and sank down on the couch next to me. I saw him glance at the letter on the coffee table.

"Hear me out before you explode," he suddenly broke the silence.

David kept his eyes on his lap. I rubbed my chin as I waited. I didn't have to wait long for him to start speaking. David turned towards me and reached out to grab my hand.

"He wants Val," he muttered. "What if we give him what he wants?"

I growled and pulled my hand out of his hold. Give him what he wants? How could he even fucking think about handing her over? We had no clue what the man wanted to do with her. He could kill her at the first opportunity he got and we wouldn't be able to save her.

I stood, no longer able to sit still. Anger filled me. I growled. The urge to hit him was so strong that I had to move away from him.

"We can trap him," David continued. "We can end this all by making him think that he got what he wanted."

"He could kill her before we even get to save her!"

"She's not as fragile as you think!" he yelled, jumping up. "We taught her how to fight. She will be able to protect herself! She doesn't need us."

"But we need her!" I spun around to face him. "No! I won't allow you to put her in danger."

"What's the number one thing your father always taught us?" he asked softly.

I pursed my lips and glanced away from him. I refused to answer his question. He wasn't going to get me to change my mind. Val could grow claws and teeth, but she wasn't strong enough. We had no clue what this man looked like. We didn't know what he was capable of.

"An Alpha must put his pack above else. We need to think about our packs, Devon."

I was sick just thinking about the pack. I was sick of being told what to do by the elders. I was sick of all of this. I just wanted to have a normal life with my mate. Was that too much to ask?

"We will be with her every step of the way. She will be protected even if we're not close by."

I shook my head. "Just one second," I whispered. "Just one second is all it takes."

"You don't think I know that?" he asked softly, taking a step forward. "I got disowned because I couldn't get to them in time. I couldn't save them. It was my responsibility, Devon. I got them killed because I was pissed at being ordered to follow them around all day."

"You were just a kid," I pointed out.

We've had this conversation a million times before. I stared at David, seeing the guilt and regret in his brown eyes. He just kept holding on. When was he going to realize that what happened wasn't his fault? It shouldn't have been expected of him in the first place. He was just a fucking kid.

"I saw my sister's throat ripped out. I saw my mother fight to protect her while I just fucking stood there frozen. If I had—" His voice cracked.

I stepped closer and hugged him. I could feel his pain. He used to have nightmares about that day for months afterward while he waited for the council's decision. His father had talked them into banishing him. I had watched my best friend being forced to leave.

"It wasn't your fault," I whispered, hugging him closer.

David's arms tightened for a second before loosening. I stepped back when he turned away from me. He ran his hand through his hair and let out a few low curses. Stepping towards him, I gripped his shoulder and squeezed it. I hesitated before I moved. Wrapping my arms around his waist, I pressed my face against the back of his neck.

"Please don't make me choose them over her," I whispered. "I'll die if something happens to her."

"If we don't end this now, Val will always stay in danger. We won't always be there to protect her. We need to end this now Devon to ensure her safety."

"I can't allow you to make her do that."

"He wouldn't be making me do anything."

My head snapped up when Val spoke. I stepped around David and moved towards her. She was hesitating near the kitchen. Her eyes locked with mine. My knees weakened when I saw the determination in her eyes.

"Val—"

"David is right. We could end all of this now. Nobody needs to die, Devon."

I growled and took a step towards her. "You could get killed! I forbid you!"

Her cheeks flushed red and her eyes narrowed. She clenched her fists. I braced myself for the hurtful words she would yell at me in anger. To my surprise, Val closed her eyes and sucked in a deep breath. She slowly blew it out. I opened my mouth to apologize and talk some sense into her, but David suddenly gripped my neck.

My eyes snapped up to his when he stepped in front of me.

"I won't let anything happen to our mate Devon. I promise you that I will bring her back."

His hold tightened. A moan slipped past my lips when black spots appeared in my line of vision. The last thing I saw was Val's face before everything faded into darkness.