81. LARA: CURSED

I paced up and down the hall. It was hard to keep hold of emotions. The urge to storm through those doors and demand to know what was going on was killing me. Why hadn't I heard from them? Why wasn't I allowed to be by his side? What if he didn't make it? What if. . .I shook my head and sucks in a deep breath then slowly blew it out.

"I am in control," I whispered to myself.

I walked over to the chairs against the wall and took a seat. The moment I sat down I realized just how tired I was. I felt faint and I knew it had something to do with not having eaten a thing at all. I pressed my shaky hands against my stomach and stared down at it.

"I'm sorry, babies. Mommy will feed you in a moment."

My head snapped up when I heard the yelling. I jumped to my feet expecting the doctor to come running through the doors but it wasn't him. Nobody came through the doors.

"Move out of the way! Move out of the way!"

I spun around and saw to nurses rushing towards me. They were pushing a bed with someone on it. I quickly pushed myself against the wall. As they passed, my eyes darted down to the person on the bed. My stomach turned when as my eyes darted over the blackened skin. The man was burned from head to toe with bones visible on some parts of his body. I stared until they disappeared through the doors.

It wasn't long before more shouts came with nurses pushing a bed. This time I instantly recognized the man on the bed.

"S-Silas?" My hand shot out to grip the bed. "Silas?"

He turned his head towards me and his eyes fluttered open. The air was knocked from my lungs when I saw the pain in his eyes. His image became blurry as tears filled my eyes. I reached out to press a hand against his cheek.

"Silas?"

"S-sorry," he croaked. "I-I tried."

"It's okay."

"I couldn't save him," he whispered. "E-Ethan. Couldn't. S-sorry."

Panic hit when his eyes fluttered closed and his head slumped to the side.

"Silas? Silas can you hear me? Silas."

An arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me away. I clutched at the bed and screamed for him to wake up but he didn't. Someone forced my hands from the bed and pulled me away so I couldn't reach it. I screamed and kicked and trashed as they started pushing him through the doors.

"No!" I screamed clawing at the arms preventing me from going to my mate. "Let me go! Silas!"

"Lara."

"Let me go!"

"Lara, listen to me!

"I need to go to him! He needs me!"

Hands cupped my cheeks and forced my eyes away from the doors. I blinked rapidly to clear the tears form my eyes but they kept falling. Another arm wrapped around my waist and pulled my body back against a hard one. The hands cupping my cheeks gentled but not by much. They were still firm which stopped me from turning my head.

"Lara." I recognized Valeria's voice. "Listen to me. Breathe, Lara. Think about the baby," she whispered.

I instantly stopped fighting them.

Breathe Lara. Breathe. You can't shift. You'll lose your babies.

It took me a moment to realize that I had already started shifting. I closed my eyes and did what Silas had taught me. After a few minutes I calmed enough to stop panting. The urge to shift and fight my way to my mate was still there, but it wasn't so strong anymore.