28. ARIANA: TWISTED FATE

"My head is killing me," Ethan hissed as he pinched the bridge of his nose and squeezed his eyes closed.

"There are some headache tablets in the bathroom cabinet," I pointed out. "I'll go get you some."

"That's not wise," Alpha Grayson said. "It's best to let everything work out of your system before you take anything."

"I'll take my chance with the tablets."

"I'll go get you some," I said as I got up.

It was hard not to think about the bodies that still littered the living room floor or the condition Lucas had been in. He had single-handedly killed them.

Not only did he know about Lycans, but he also knew how to kill.

My steps faltered when I reached the bathroom. What if Lucas was like Conner? What if he was using me for his own personal gain? I instantly shook the thoughts away and focused on what I said I'd do.

The bathroom door was ajar and I could hear voices coming from inside. Frowning, I took a step closer and tilted my head to the side to listen.

"Get out," Lucas hissed.

"We've been over this." What was Eva doing in the bathroom with him? "I'm not leaving until you tell me why you didn't call me when you found my sister."

"I swear to god, Eva, if you don't get out now I'm going to throw you out myself!"

"I'm not leaving until you answer my question!"

There was a thump followed by a soft gasp that came from Eva before it fell silence which only lasted about two seconds.

"I'll answer your question if you answer mine," Lucas said. "Why didn't you tell me that we're mates?"

My knees weakened as shock washed through me. I could feel the colour draining from my face as he continued speaking.

"When I brought Ariana back to the dorm, we shook hands when you introduced yourself. Do you remember, Eva?" His voice lowered slightly. "You felt it too. Why didn't you say anything?"

My hand shot out to steady myself as I swayed but unfortunately I didn't grip the wall like I wanted to. I ended up pushing the door wide open.

Eva's eyes snapped to mine as Lucas jerked away from her.

"Ari—"

"Is it true?" I questioned her. "Is he your mate?"

Eva jerked away from the wall and grabbed my arm to pull me into the bathroom and slam the door shut all the way.

She hesitated. "Y-yes it's true."

My eyes darted over to Lucas to find him already watching me.

It all made sense now. When I had told him about mates during our bath, he'd put two and two together and got four. It explained his strange reaction.

"Nobody knows," Eva hurried to reassure us. "They don't have to know! I'm not looking for a mate. Not right now anyway. I—"

"So you're going to reject him now and then when you finally had all your fun, you'll run back to him. Is that what you have planned, Eva?" I asked her. "You—"

"Shut up, Ariana!" Eva growled. "You can't talk about something you don't understand."

"Don't understand?" I took a step forward but Lucas's hand gripped my arm to stop me.

"Now is not the time to talk about this," he said softly. "Will both of you get out so I can shower."

I pursed my lips but one glace down his body made my stomach turn. He was still soaked in blood. Turning, I glared at Eva. She rolled her eyes and stormed out of the bathroom.