EPILOGUE: HAPPILY EVER AFTER

Valeria

"Fuck!"

The loud curse echoed around the half-empty hospital corridor. My knees weakened as a contraction hit. Pain flashed through me, leaving me breathless.

Thankfully a strong arm wrapped around my waist and tugged me against a muscular chest before I could hit the floor. I squeezed my eyes closed and reached down to grip his arm. We had taken classes held by some of the midwives. I knew what to do in situations like this, but the pain made me forget everything.

My mates were going to be busy till late with meetings so I thought about starting that new book I've been dying to read. I had everything ready. So after my bath, I was just about to get nice and comfortable in bed when my water broke. Panic hit first and then I realized what was happening. Wrin was staying with me. I had tried to stay calm and explained to him what had happened, but it was hard to do when the first contraction hit.

I barely remembered how we got to the hospital. I sucked in a breath as the pain slowly started to fade.

"Easy up on the claws doll," David muttered in my ear.

My eyes instantly snapped down. Horror washed through me when I saw my claws digging into his skin. Tears filled my eyes.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered, snapping my hands away.

David's arm tightened. "It will heal."

His lips brushed my forehead. A sob got caught in my throat. I swallowed, trying to stop the sudden tears from escaping, not that it helped. They dripped down my cheeks and onto his arm. David stepped around me and tugged me against his chest. His hands cupped my cheeks and wiped away the tears with his thumbs. The action was so tender, it made me cry harder.

"It's going to be okay," he said softly. "Everything is going to be just fine. Devon went to call the doctor. They'll be here at any minute."

"I hurt you," I hiccupped. "I didn't mean to."

"I know." He reached up to move a few strands of hair from my sweaty forehead. "It's nothing compared to the pain you're going through."

He was only saying that to appease me. It hurt like hell, I knew that. The only other time I lost control was in the bedroom. Things would get intense sometimes. Thank god for our fast healing abilities.

The baby-making part was a hell of a lot of fun. It's the labour part that has me regretting agreeing to this. I never thought the pain of giving birth would hurt so badly.

"We're here," Devon called out breathlessly.

"Take her to room twelve, I'll be with you in a second," Doctor Smith ordered softly.

The babies were ready to come, but my body wasn't ready. It was the easiest way to explain what the doctor had said. She suggested that I move around a bit to get the process moving faster.

Both my mates had an arm wrapped around my waist as we walked back and forth in the small room. The doctor left us alone after giving us a few instructions. She said that she'd be back in a few minutes to check up on us. My knees went weak as another contraction hit—this one a lot stronger than the ones before—and it came along with the urge to push.

"Breathe baby."

"I fucking know how t-to b-breathe," I gasped. "It's y-your fault. A-all your fault."

David chuckled. "I didn't hear you complaining."

I growled, but before I could utter another word, the door opened and the doctor entered. She gave us a bright smile and pointed over to the bed. I knew what was coming. Devon picked me up and carried me over to it where he gently placed me down and stepped out of the way.

"Feet on the paddles," the doctor ordered softly.

"The contractions are getting closer together," David said as he stepped up on the other side of the bed.

"Let's see if the little exercise helped. If not then I'm afraid you'll have to do the C-section."

I instantly shook my head. "We agreed—"

"I know what we agreed on Luna, but these babies want out. A lot of things could go wrong if we wait any longer."

Devon grabbed my hand and raised it to his lips to brush a kiss along my knuckles. "No arguing Val. We talked about this."

"I know, but I don't want to have a C-section. I want to give birth naturally."

David pressed a kiss against my forehead and took hold of my other hand. Colour flooded my cheeks when the doctor pulled on gloves and lowered her head between my legs. I squirmed slightly, feeling very uncomfortable. When she raised her head, her smile was big and her eyes shone brightly.

"No need for a C-section," she muttered. "At the next contraction, you can push when you get the urge to."

***

Devon

I stared down at our two new-born babies.

They were already a few hours old and fucking beautiful. Both of them were wrapped up in soft fluffy blankets that the nurses gave them as welcome gifts, and sleeping peacefully after just being fed by their mother. We had two beautiful twins—not identical but two boys nonetheless. It was more than what we asked for.

"They're beautiful," David muttered as he stepped up next to me. "I can't wait for them to grow up."

I chuckled. "You say that now. They will be a handful."

"I know," he said softly, "but it'll all be worth it."

He sighed as he leaned down and brushed his finger down our son's cheek. The baby squirmed but stayed asleep. It was a big shock when we learned that we were expecting twins. We would've been happy with only one. Now we had two.

"Please don't wake them," Val's sleepy voice broke through the silence.

We turned to find her struggling to sit up in bed. I instantly moved towards her and slipped my arm behind her back to help her. David fluffed her pillows and waited until she leaned back against them to hand her the glass of ice water.

"Are they okay?" she asked softly after drinking some water.

"They are healthy," David said as he placed the glass down. "Both of them."

Val relaxed back against the pillows. Her eyes darted over to the cribs were our sons slept. She stared at them for a few seconds before glancing back up at me. Her smile was weak and sleepy, but Val looked happy.

We were all happy.

"How are you feeling baby?" I asked softly as I stroked her cheek. "Do you want us to get the doctor?"

She shook her head. "No, I'm fine just tired."

"We need to choose names for them," David spoke up.

I smirked at him. "We already have names."

David chuckled when Val muttered a curse. He instantly leaned down to press a kiss to her lips and silenced her. My eyes were glued to their lips for a few seconds before I looked away. I would never get tired of watching them.

When Valeria entered our house pale and shaking on that winter day, I never knew she would be the woman we both would take as our mate. I never expected to find someone as perfect as her.

Now I had two mates and two sons.

This was something that has never been heard of, until now. We had created history, and we would keep doing it.

Things had changed, and a lot more was going to change. I wasn't sure whether our boys would be able to shift, but I was going to make damn sure that they would be accepted for who they were. Human or shifter, we all had to stand together.

"Are you happy?" Val asked softly.

I leaned down to capture her lips. "Very fucking happy."

My eyes darted over to David. His smile widened as he reached out. I instantly took his hand and squeezed it.

We both got more than what we had bargained for.