53. VALERIA: ENDING THE WAR

"Val!"

His voice echoed around the forest. I slowed to a stop and tilted my head to the side to listen. Sound from behind me made me spin around. David stumbled out into the clearing. I rushed towards him and threw myself against his chest. He caught me with a grunt and hugged me tightly.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded, hugging him tighter. "She shot at you. Where you hurt?"

"I'm fine," he muttered. "Someone hit me over the head." He pulled away and cupped my cheek. "I was so scared."

"We need to get back," I said as I stepped away from him. "The pack is in trouble."

He gave me a nod and shifted into his wolf before gesturing for me to climb onto his back. I've ridden on Devon in shifted form before, but David was bigger and more muscular. He had to crouch slightly so I could climb onto his back. I was careful not to hurt him when I gripped his fur and pulled myself up. With a low growl as a warning, he took off.

I buried my face against his scruffy fur. The trees blurred past us which made me feel sick. My hold on him tightened when he jumped over a log. I slid down his back a little but instantly moved back into place again. My heart was beating erratically in my chest. Aunt's voice echoed in my mind again.

"Hurry," I breathed. "Hurry, David."

He came to a sudden halt and tilted his head to the right slightly. I listened as well. It took a few seconds for me to realize what he was listening to. The alarms they had installed along with the cameras, was blaring loudly. No! I dug my heels into his sides. David growled but he got the message.

Our plan had failed.

There was still going to be a war. People would die. Families would once again be torn apart, and there was nothing I could do about it.

As we neared the house the sounds of fighting could be heard clearly. We were already too late to warn them. David changed directions. He skidded to a stop near the secret entrance that led down into the basement that was installed as an escape route. I slid to the ground and turned to frown at him. He pressed his snout against my stomach and pushed.

"I'm fighting with you."

He flashed sharp teeth and let out a low growl.

My eyes narrowed. "This is my pack too! I'm fighting with you."

Bones cracked as he shifted forms. David straightened and instantly reached out to grip my upper arms. "Don't, fucking argue with me now. Get in there."

"David—" My words got cut off when he grabbed my face and smashed his lips on mine. The kiss ended too soon.

"I love you," he whispered.

He stepped back and bent to grip the latch. I hesitated but with a firm push from him, I had no choice but to climb down the steps. I glanced up when he slammed it shut again. I sucked in a breath and then continued down the stairs.

There was a door at the end of the staircase. To my surprise, it was unlocked. I pushed it open and entered the room. My eyes widened when I came face to face with five women holding guns pointed right at me. They made no move to lower them. Were they going to kill me because they thought I had abandoned them? Swallowing, I turned around and closed the door. Devon had told me that turning your back on someone was a sign of trust.

After I made sure that the locks were in place, I turned back around again. They had lowered the guns but they continued to stare at me with wide eyes. My lips twitched.

"Hi." I gave them a small wave. "Are you all okay?"

"Alpha David said that you ran away," someone spoke up from behind the woman.