41. VALERIA: HUNTED

We're being hunted.

Howls echoed around the forest. It was eerily and a scene straight out of those horror movies I used to watch. I always regretted it later when I woke from nightmares. My Aunt caught me once when she returned home earlier than expected. She was so pissed that she locked me in my room for a week. I quickly learned to obey her every order.

Devon's arms around my waist tightened. Although the temperature had started to rise, the nights were still freezing cold. The fact that I wore only a crop-top wasn't helping. I turned my head to press my cheek against his shoulder. He had given me his shirt to wear when the temperatures started to drop. Then it was too dark for me to see even a hand in front of my face. And that's when the howls started.

We've walked for hours with only a few minutes of rest in between. Leaves rustled when the cool breeze blew. Devon had searched for somewhere safe to hide for the night but the farther we walked, the more howls we could hear. He chose the only other option he felt was safe, to climb a tree.

I've never climbed a tree in my life. I had almost no upper body strength to pull myself up. Devon had to boost me and keep close by to help whenever I needed it. We climbed until we almost reached the top. The thick branches with leaves hid us from view, but it did nothing to help with the cold.

"Are you okay?"

"C-cold." I shivered and pressed myself closer against him.

"Sit forward a little," he ordered. "Turn around until you face me."

The man was crazy, but I was too cold to tell him that. With his hands and soft words carefully guiding me, I found myself facing him in no time. He kept one hand on my back and slid his other down to my thigh. Gripping it, he guided my leg over his. I gasped when he pulled me onto his lap. Devon pressed his hand against the back of my head and guided my face to the crook of my neck.

"Better?"

I nodded. He was rubbing my back to warm me. His lips brushed my cheek. "Get some sleep, Val. I'll keep watch."

"I-is David g-going to be o-okay?"

"We can change our body temperature according to our needs. He will be okay."

"B-but he's hurt badly."

"If he has no internal injuries, he would have already started to heal."

"But you need the healing drug," I whispered.

"We don't need it," he muttered. "It just helps us heal faster. Without them, we heal slowly but still efficiently."

"I'm scared."

His arms tightened again. "Me too."

"The big bad wolf is scared," I teased.

Devon chuckled softly but said nothing. I sat up slightly and stared at his face. I could feel his warm breath fanning my lips. Our faces were inches apart but I couldn't see a thing. My lips parted but the loud grumble from my stomach made my words die down. I was starving and thirsty. They probably felt the same. We were lost in the forest miles away from any help. We would either reach safety tomorrow or die by the hands of the hunters or those of nature.

"I will find some water to drink tomorrow and maybe something to eat." He rubbed his nose against mine. "Think you can hold on till then?"

I nodded. Getting help for David was more important than food. Devon cupped my cheek and tilted my head back slightly. His lips brushed mine—softly, barely touching. I sighed and parted my lips for his. We had a lot of things to talk about. He didn't deepen the kiss but kept it light and gentle. I leaned my head against his shoulder.