23. EVA: CALL FROM A STRANGER

"Dad!" I yelled as I hurried down the hall with the towel clutched tightly under my arm.

There was no reply but his phone didn't stop ringing either. Letting out a huff, I stormed into his room and started searching for his phone which I found on the dresser.

I frowned down at the name on the screen. Who the hell's Mountain man?

Pressing the button, I raised the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

Silence greeting me.

"Hello?"

I pulled the phone away from my ear and glanced down at the screen to make sure that the call hadn't been disconnected.

"Hello?" I said again. "Look if—"

"Can I speak to your father?" a man asked. "Silas. Can I speak to Silas?"

I swallowed, feeling slightly unnerved by the voice of the man on the other side of the phone.

"Yeah." I cleared my throat. "Just hold on while I find him."

With the phone clenched tightly in my free hand, I hurried out of the room and towards the stairs. Jason was just climbing up the stairs when I reached it. We both froze the moment he glanced up.

Green eyes slowly trailed over my body.

A low whistle fell from his lips. "Jesus, Eva. Please go put something on."

My eyes narrowed. "I am wearing something."

"A towel that's too small for you."

I rolled my eyes. "Where's dad?" I asked.

"In the living room with Alpha Grayson."

Grayson's here?

My lips curled into a smile. He was adamant about ignoring the attraction between us, but would he be able to ignore me if I paraded around in only a towel?

"I know that look," Jason muttered.

I ignored him but he grabbed my arm when I moved past him. My eyes snapped up to his and widened.

"You're playing with fire, Eva," he growled.

"Let go!" I twisted my arm to free it. "There's someone on the phone for Dad."

"Then give me the phone and I'll take it to him."

"I'll do it."

With a low growl he let go of my arm and stormed into his room. I winced when he slammed the door shut behind him.

"Asshole."

I made my way down the stairs and headed towards the living room.

Both men had their backs to me. They were bent over Jason's laptop on the coffee table. Grayson tensed and slowly sat up, but he didn't turn around. I loved the fact that he could sense when I was near.

"Daddy." I leaned over the back of the couch and held the phone next to his ear. "There's someone on the phone for you."

"Who is it?" Dad asked as he took the phone. One glance at the screen had him standing. "Excuse me, I need to take this," he said.

Without looking at us, he got up and walked out of the room. I hurried over to the window when I heard the back door closing. Pulling the curtain aside, I peeked out. Dad stood with his back to the house and the phone pressed to his ear. I was curious to know what he was saying and who the mountain man was.

A throat cleared behind me.

I'd completely forgotten about Grayson. I slowly turned away from the window to face him.