20. LARA: MEETING MY TO BE FATHER-IN-LAW

I blinked down at him in surprise. It took a while for his word to fully penetrate my lust-filled brain and when it did, the colour drained from my face. I tried to even my breathing but it was hard to do when the thought of getting pregnant and being left alone flashed through my mind. What were the chances of Silas sticking around if I got pregnant?

He said he wanted to marry me but we've never talked about having kids. It was too soon to even think about starting a family.

"Lara, breathe for me baby."

I instantly flinched. Silas's hands on my hips kept me in place. I couldn't run from him like I wanted to.

"I'm sorry," he said softly. "Please calm down, breathe for me sweetness."

"Sweetness?" My eyes snapped open but my mind quickly trailed back to our scenario. "I can't get pregnant, Silas."

Pain flashed through his eyes. "Would it be so bad to have my baby?"

I swallowed the sudden lump that filled my throat. I wanted to do anything just to get that look out of his eyes. My eyes dropped to his chest. The moment our eye contact was broken, I could think a little clearer. I loved him and I would do anything to make him happy, but having a baby so soon was just not an option at the moment.

Silas cupped my cheek and tilted my head towards his. He stroked my cheek with his thumb softly. His eyes darted over my face before locking with mine. Silas still looked sad, but there were a few other emotions I couldn't make out.

"I'm scared," I admitted softly. "I've never had a real parental figure. My father took off the moment he found out my mother got knocked up. My mother is a drunk and a gambling addict. Do you know that she planned the pregnancy? She was so in love with him that she thought a baby would get him to marry her. He was a married man. A billionaire like you and in the end, money bought her."

"Lara—"

"What if I turn out like her? What if we have a baby and I later decide that I can't handle—"

"Stop!" Silas exclaimed. "There is no guarantee that one slip up will cause a pregnancy, and if it happens then I'll be with you every step of the way. I know, deep down in my heart that you will make a wonderful mother. I haven't met your mother yet, but I can already tell that you're nothing like her."

"Silas."

"We do this together."

"Promise?"

He held up his hand with his pinkie finger pointing at me. "Pinkie promise."

A laugh fell from my lips. I instantly slipped my finger around his. Silas gave me a smile and then leaned forward to capture my lips. The kiss was short and sweet but it made me crave a lot more. I slipped my arms around his neck but Silas pulled away.

"I know shit about raising kids, but if it gets to that then we'll learn together as we go along." His smile widened. "Besides, this is actually a perfect excuse to get you to agree to marry me."

"You don't need to knock me up to get me to marry you," I told him as I held up my hand. "My decision has already been made."

A smile broke out over his face and his eyes filled with happiness. I knew that I had surprised him but Silas said nothing. He gripped my hand and raised it to his lips to press a kiss against the ring on my finger. He turned my hand around and pressed another kiss to my palm. I was surprised by the sudden tears that filled his eyes. Silas squeezed his eyes closed and dropped his forehead against mine.

"I love you Lara."

"I love you too."

***

"This is the only time you'll be getting married. I want you to have your dream wedding."