27. LUCAS: RESCUE PARTY

"You should work on you aim, kid," a familiar voice muttered.

My lips twitched. "It would've hit the target if you hadn't caught it."

"Lucas?" another familiar voice called out in surprise.

My stomach dropped. I knew exactly who that voice belonged too. If Eva was here then it meant that Silas wasn't far behind. How had they found us?

The point was proven when a light suddenly flicked on. I blinked twice and then focused on them.

A man I recognized as Eva's grandfather stood near the light switch with Eva slightly to the left, half behind Silas and Grayson. Eva's eyes darted over to me before they dropped and widened.

I followed her gaze and bit back a curse of my own.

Bodies littered the floor—all dead—while some of the walls and furniture were decorated with blood splatters.

The Hunters had tried to sneak up on us but one of those stupid bastards had made enough noise to wake me.

With Ariana hidden, I waited for them with my own weapons ready. For some reason Ethan had just disappeared. He was either still at the garage or he'd left us.

I wasn't going to lie and say that I hadn't suspected that Ethan had set the trap for us.

"Where's my daughter?" Silas asked, completely ignoring the bodies as he stepped over them. "I'm not going to ask you again, boy."

I could lie...

Spike had given me a few extra doses. I could inject Ariana and sneak her out the first opportunity I got. This time I just had to take extra precautions.

"Who?" I asked.

Silas growled. I tensed when he closed the distance between us and reached out.

Adrenaline still ran through my veins which made me react without second thought. I dodged his hand and kicked out with my leg. The moment my foot connected with his middle, he went flying backwards.

He slammed into the couch and dropped to the floor but he immediately got to his feet. Silas growled as he raised his head to look at me.

"Where's my daughter?"

"Lucas." My eyes snapped over to Eva. "Ariana's with you, isn't she?"

I swallowed when our eyes locked. I could feel the pull but I now knew exactly what it meant.

It was everything Ariana had explained to me but feeling it again with Eva only a few feet away was throwing me off balance.

Like I had said earlier: Fate was playing a cruel game.

In all the years my mother had planned their destruction, had she never considered the possibility—

"Lucas." Grayson moved closer, making my eyes snap to him. "Where—"

A body slammed into mine.

The air was knocked from my lungs when we hit the ground. My fingers clenched around the handle of the knife but before I could use it, a fist slammed into my cheekbone.

I instantly blocked the pain and took inventory of our position.

After the second hit, I moved.

My elbow slammed into his chin, followed by a fist to his ribs. The sound of bone cracking was extremely satisfying. It only spurred me on, so I hit him in the same spot again before I changed out positions.

With a sneer, I raised the knife.

"No!"

The scream had me freezing. My head snapped up and my eyes darted around until I located her.