69. LARA: AXEL AND MY MOTHER

I was briefly aware of Silas placing a kiss on my forehead and telling me that he was leaving for the office. Hours later I was forced to get up because of my full bladder. I decided to take a shower and get dressed. My breath got caught in my throat when I entered the bedroom again. I glanced around in shock—I never expected thing to look so bad. We tore up the bed and apparently a whole lot of furniture. Colour flooded my cheeks as memories of last night flashed through my mind.

Shaking my head, I exit the bedroom and made sure to close the door firmly behind me. The last thing we needed was trying to explain what had happened to some strangers. There was no sign of Silas's friend, Axel.

He probably already left or he was still passed out. I was surprised to find the fridge and cabinets fully stocked. I stared at the contents of the fridge for a few seconds as I tried to figure out what I wanted for breakfast. On the island we mostly ate salads because it was too hot to really eat anything else.

A sigh fell from my lips. I had no clue what I wanted to have for breakfast, not that I really felt like eating, but I knew Silas would be mad if he found out that I skipped breakfast after neither of us ate a thing last night. Grabbing some eggs and bacon, I placed it on the counter and then grabbed everything else I needed.

I had just finished frying the bacon when I heard someone moving in the spare bedroom. I tilted my head to the side and listened. Not only had my hearing improved, but my endurance and strength too. I loved that Silas wasn't able to sneak up on me anymore.

Turning, I added another plate on the counter next to mine. Axel stepped into the kitchen just as I started the eggs. He froze in the doorway and blinked at me.

"Morning," I greeted brightly.

He blinked a few times and then gave me a small smile. "Morning. You must be the wife I knew nothing about."

I smiled and turned back to the stove. "And you must be the best friend I knew nothing about."

"Ditto."

Silence filled the kitchen. I could feel his eyes burning into me as I finished breakfast. When I was done, I turned and placed his plate in front of him before taking a seat at the island opposite him. Axel continued to stare at the plate as if he had never seen eggs and bacon before.

I cleared my throat and pointed to a cabinet. "There's some cereal if you'd—"

"Oh no. This is great," he quickly interrupted. "I'm just not used to someone making me breakfast, is all."

I nodded. He picked up a strip of bacon and took a bite. The silence continued for a few more minutes.

"Where's Silas?"

I swallowed and glanced up at him. "He left for the office."

"Typical," he muttered. "That man is going to work himself sick someday."

I smiled. Hopefully not. I had no clue what he would be doing at the pack house. What would I be doing there? I pushed the thoughts away and focused on my half eaten plate but I had lost my appetite. I pushed the plate away and stood.

"Where did you guys meet?" Axel suddenly asked.

"Oh, we met on one of his business trips."

"How long have you known each other?"

I licked my lips. "About a year."

"And when did you get married?"

"I don't think it's any of your business, Axel."

His dark eyes narrowed. "You have me at a disadvantage here. You know my name but I don't know yours."

I hesitated. Andrea would've done the same if this happened to her. "My name's Lara."