19. SILAS: A WEEK AWAY LED TO DANGEROUS ACTIONS

"When will you be back?"

I hesitated. "I have a flight booked for tonight. I'll be home by eight tonight."

"By that you mean your plane is ready to take off whenever you say so."

A smile slid onto my face when I remembered the look on her face when she first realized that we were taking my private plane home. It was clear by the way Lara reacted to some things that she was used to wealth but she didn't like living with wealth surrounding her. She hated being waited on. She hated not being able to cook dinner or make the bed. She hated not being able to clean.

And she loved cleaning—especially when she was thinking deeply about something.

I loved having her in my penthouse. The moment we arrived she had made a list of things she wanted to change and things she claimed needed to be changed. I gave her the green light and allowed her to do whatever she wanted. I never expected her to do things so quickly.

I had gone to the office and returned home to a different apartment. Not that I hated what she had done to the place. I loved it. I just needed to get used to the changes that were taking place.

"I miss you," Lara broke the silence.

My hold on the phone tightened. "I miss you too baby. I'll be back before you know it."

"That's such a common name."

"What?"

"Baby. All men call their girlfriends or mistresses or wife that." She paused. "Not that I don't like you calling me that. I really do but—"

"You don't need to explain it, Lara," I interrupted her. "I understand what you mean."

"You're not mad, are you?"

My eyes darted over to the door when someone knocked on it. I gestured for my assistant to enter. She gave me a smile as she walked over to the desk. Stopping in front of it, she placed a file down in front of me that had a stick-it note on the front of the file.

Meeting in two minutes. Everything is set.

I nodded and waited until she exited the office before speaking again. "I'm not mad at you. Why would I be?" Leaning forward, I opened the file to glance inside. "I need to go baby. I have a meeting in minute."

"You'll come home tonight, won't you?" she asked softly.

Was it my imagination or did she sound a little anxious? Had something happened? "I promise you that I'll be home tonight."

"Good." There was a moment of silence. "I won't keep you any longer. Just let me know when you're about to board the flight."

"I will. I love you Lara."

She blew out a loud breath. "I love you."

***

It was late when I finally pushed the key into the keyhole to unlock the door. I carefully pushed it open and entered the apartment. It was completely dark which made my heart drop to my stomach. I had promised her that I would be home by eight. Of course the meeting went on longer than I expected so my flight was delayed.

I had tried calling Lara to let her know but she didn't answer.

Dropping my keys into the bowl by the door, I walked over to the living room. I was about to drop my suitcase onto the couch when I realized that Lara was fast asleep on it. She was curled into a ball with her back facing the floor to ceiling window that overlooked a great part of London. Lara loved staring out the window, especially at night when most of the lights were twinkling in the dark.