77. SILAS: HEART TO HEART

Lara and I left for the pack house half an hour after the doctor left. Much to my surprise, Lara didn't want to tell my parents about being pregnant again. She said that she wanted to wait until she had a little more information regarding the pregnancy. I'd be happy if she never told them anything, but I didn't tell her that.

As we walked back to the pack house, some members stopped to stare at us. I could see their confusion, but they didn't ask any questions. None of them approached us and I was thankful for that. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone; I wanted time to sort out my mind. The worry of whether Avery's actions would cause me punishment was starting to pile up. My main worry though was Lara and my baby. They wouldn't be safe amongst the humans.

"Do you want me to make you something to eat?" Lara asked as we stepped into the apartment on the top floor.

"Are you hungry?" I followed her into the kitchen. "You should be in bed like the doctor ordered. I'll make you something to eat if you're hungry."

She shook her head. "I'm not really hungry but a toasted cheese sandwich sounds good."

I smiled and moved around her to grab everything I needed to make us some sandwiches. Lara excused herself by saying that she would like another shower. I frowned but didn't comment on it. She probably wanted to get rid of Ethan's scent on her. I waited until I heard the water before I reached for the phone and dialled Devrim's number.

"Silas, is everything okay?" he answered on the second ring.

"It depends on what you mean by okay." I leaned back against the counter. "We're back at the pack but there has been some. . .unforeseen complications."

"What happened?"

"Let's just say my past has caught up on me." I ran a hand down my face as a wave of fear flashed through me. "Listen, I called because I need to ask you something."

"I'm listening," Devrim muttered. "What do you need?"

"We just found out that Lara's pregnant."

"Congratulations."

"Thank you," I muttered. "Listen, I did some bad shit in my youth and it's caught up with me. I'm. . .I could get locked up or a whole lot of other shit, but the worst that could happen is me being sentenced to death. I know that we really don't know each other very well but I've spend enough time with you to know that you are honourable man. You take care of your own and more. If I'm sentenced to death, I want to ask you if you'd take Lara and my child in. Will you make them part of your pride?"

Devrim was silent for so long that I thought he would refuse me. Every pack had different traditions and believes. No pack was the same. Maybe I had crossed a line by asking him to take in Lara, but he was the only man I knew who would take care of her. Sure, Ethan was her mate and he would do anything to protect her, but he had his own priorities and sometimes he was too focused on it to notice anything else. My parents were exactly the same.

"If Lara agrees then I don't see a problem," Devrim finally answered. "I will agree for your mate and child to become part of my pride, but it must be on Lara's freewill. I will not force this on her."

"I'll talk to her about it. Thank you, Devrim."

"You're welcome," he muttered. "If you need anything just give me a call."

I stared down at my screen once I ended the call. Now I just had a few more calls to make in order to be sure that Lara would be okay encase something ever happened to me.

***

My head snapped up when the study door was thrown open. I frowned as my father's entered followed by my mother and Wrin. I hadn't seen them since the dinner incident but that was because I spend most of the time with Lara to make sure that she was resting.